Chemical-Free Collegiettes™: A Healthy Body!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Tips and Tricks from an All Natural Diva!

It’s the holiday season, which means that there are many events to be attended, gifts to be bought and finals to be completed. With so much to do, collegiettes’ like us don’t have time to be sick! Coming from someone with an auto-immune disease who is always at risk for picking up illnesses, it is vital to ensure that you are taking time to care for your body during this stressful time of year. Below are Five great (chemical free) ways to make sure your body is operating at full capacity so you don’t miss out on any  Holiday fun!

SLEEP!

There is nothing more vital to your immune system then an adequate amount of sleep. It can be hard when final stress is mounting, but make sure you are getting at least seven hours of sleep each night. Although an all nighter may seem tempting, try to accomplish as much work as possible during the day so that you have time to relax and unwind before bed. Keeping your body on a regulated sleep schedule can not only help your immune system to stay strong, but can also help you to focus better on that massive accounting final.

Short Nails

It may sound ridiculous,but the length of your nails can really impact your health. Longer nails provide a larger space for germs and bacteria to hide  in,making it easier for you to transmit illnesses to yourself and others. Try a fun holiday polish in a darker shade, like a dark red or green. The darker colors elongate short nails, giving the longer nail look without housing germs that can make you sick.

Vitamin C

You have probably heard that Vitamin C aids in immune system function, and making sure you get 100% of your daily value can help ward of illness before it even starts and helps you to recover quicker from things your body is already fighting. Pick up an orange at the dining hall or buy a pack of Vitamin C packed cough drops from the co-op.

Echinacea

Echinacea is a natural immune supplement that works similarly to vitamin C. Tablets can be purchased at CVS, Walmart and online and provide your body with an extra immune boost that can help you stay strong when stressed.

Green Tea

Aside from being delicious, Green tea is a natural source of anti-oxidants which help fight toxins in your body. A cup a day can help to strengthen your body and can even boost your mood. Green Tea bags can be found in all of the dining halls around campus, and cold versions can be purchased in the beverage case at the Union!

Follow these tips to stay healthy during the last few weeks, and be able to give your loved ones something other than a cold for Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

My name is Ashley Dostie and I am the current Editor in Chief for the Her Campus branch at the University of Connecticut. I am a journalism and public relations double major and I am looking forward to expanding and publicizing this amazing online magazine come fall semester!