CPL Sections FOOD?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections FOOD?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

Celebs & Fast Food Collabs: The New Hottest Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Lately, it seems that every fast-food place from McDonald’s to Dunkin’ is hopping on the celebrity collaboration train. TikTok For You pages and YouTube are filled with review videos of the latest collab, making a case for why it is the new best thing or why it is the hottest abomination on the planet. But why exactly is this tactic being implemented and why is it working?

There have been numerous collabs between celebs and fast-food chains: Ice Spice and Dunkin’ with the Ice Spice Munchkin Drink, Meghan Thee Stallion and Popeyes with a sauce in her name, Saweetie and McDonald’s with her own meal, and many more. But why has there been an uptick in these collaborations over the past two years? The biggest reason is younger consumers. These fast-food chains want to build more consistent returning customers. One way to do this is to appeal to the younger generations by having them see their favorite celebs endorsing the chain and even having a limited-time meal unique to them. Whether the product is actually tasty or not does not matter anymore as countless fans will buy it simply for the name attached.

This is especially needed as younger generations become more conscious of big chains’ impact on the environment. Just a few years ago a TikTok went viral when a Dunkin’ employee posted a video showing how all leftover food from the day is thrown in the trash. There was immediate uproar and concern over how fast-food chains waste food and their unethical sources harm the environment. Thus, fewer customers would be coming through the doors due to this concern. The response: create a marketing strategy to bring these young, worried customers back. These celebrity collabs are that perfect marketing strategy that is clearly working.

Whether you agree with the marketing strategy or not, it is clearly having a profound impact. Youtubers and TikTokers flood social media with videos of them trying these celeb collabs and giving their input. Even if the consensus is that the food is terrible, it still takes the internet by storm with thousands of videos and promotions making more people go out and try the food for themselves.

This latest trend over the past few years of fast food and celeb collabs is an interesting one for sure. Not only does it attempt to bring in more customers, but is successful in doing so — if the social media posts are anything to prove. One thing is for sure: collabs are the new marketing strategy for fast food chains and they are making an impact.

Sophia is a freshman at the University of Connecticut studying Communication. She loves reading romance books, Dunkin' Donuts coffee, her two dogs, and listening to music.