Celebrity Reactions to Donald Trump’s Victory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Donald Trump’s presidential victory has sparked a lot of controversy and protest across America.  In response to his win, many celebrities have taken to social media platforms to voice their opinions on the matter:

Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus, who openly supported and campaigned for Hillary Clinton, posted an emotional video on Twitter saying, through tears, “I still think that in her lifetime (Clinton) deserves to be the first female president, and that’s what makes me so sad is that I just wish that she had that opportunity because she’s fought for so long, and because I believe her when she says that she loves this country. This is all she’s ever done.” She goes on to say that she accepts Donald Trump as president, although it hurts to do so. Later in the week, Cyrus announced via Instagram, a new campaign called Hopeful Hippies, which encourages people to get involved in their communities and make a commitment to the issues that they care about.

Macklemore

J.K. Rowling

“We stand together. We stick up for the vulnerable. We challenge bigots. We don’t let hate speech become normalised. We hold the line.”

— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) November 9, 2016

Chris Evans

“This is an embarrassing night for America. We’ve let a hatemonger lead our great nation. We’ve let a bully set our course. I’m devastated.”

— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) November 9, 2016

Jesse Williams

“Be tired. Be mad. Be honest & concerned. But be not afraid. Rest up. Be safe. Come together. Construct. Know your surroundings. Be creative.”

— Jesse Williams. (@iJesseWilliams) November 9, 2016

Katy Perry

“Do not sit still. Do not weep. MOVE. We are not a nation that will let HATE lead us.”

— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) November 9, 2016

Jennifer Lawrence

In an article posted to Broadly on November 10th, J-Law addressed the issue of what we, as a nation, do now.   

“I want to be positive; I want to support our democracy, but what can we take away from this? It’s a genuine question that we all need to ask ourselves. We shouldn’t blame anyone, we shouldn’t riot in the streets. We should think strongly and clearly about what to do next because we cannot change the past.”

She went on to encourage those upset by the results to turn their anger and fear into motivation saying, “Let this enrage you! Let it motivate you! Let this be the fire you didn’t have before. If you are an immigrant, if you are a person of color, if you are LGBTQ+, if you are a woman—don’t be afraid, be loud!”

Emma Watson

“Today I am going to deliver Maya Angelou books to the New York subway. Then I am going to fight even harder for all the things I believe in.”

— Emma Watson (@EmmaWatson) November 9, 2016

Laverne Cox

“Without a test there is no testimony. Let this be the test that ignites us toward a testimony of resilience, strength and love.”

— Laverne Cox (@Lavernecox) November 9, 2016

Anna Kendrick

“Woke up feeling like I’d had a nightmare. Then started crying again. Mantra: I am not alone, we are not alone.”

— Anna Kendrick (@AnnaKendrick47) November 9, 2016

Chelsea Handler

“I want every Muslim, Mexican, LGBTQ member, every woman, to know that there are people who will never stop fighting for you. We love you.”

— Chelsea Handler (@chelseahandler) November 12, 2016

Sophia Bush

Nina Dobrev

Cover Image Source