Bursted Pipes Ruin Monday on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

At UConn, nothing expresses how much we all love the below freezing temperatures quite as well as a fire alarm hustling everyone out of bed at 7:30 am does. Throwing on a coat and rushing out the door before you’ve even really woken up is not the most ideal way to begin any day. Unfortunately, this was the start of the week for many.

This was the case at Brien McMahon Hall Monday morning. An inconvenient pipe burst sent everyone rushing out of the building while water from sprinklers rushed down the south tower steps.  Needless to say, students were disgruntled. But they were not alone; plumbing issues from the cold wreaked havoc all over campus and the state. 

A second pipe-bursting occurrence happened at the Student Union right around the time of an already overly busy lunch rush. According to officials, this was likely due to the doors of the south entrance being open for too long, and letting in enough cold air to break the sprinklers

To add to the fun, the cold also caused bus malfunctions. This meant extra time in the sub zero temperatures for many, and no one was particularly happy about it.

And if that all wasn’t enough, more pipes have burst in the Husky Village fraternity houses throughout the week.

Extremely cold weeks like these are a just friendly reminder as to why we love the spring weather here at UConn so much!

All images hyperlinked to original source.

Cover photo