Style > Beauty

The Bizarre Case of Skincare For Those With Sensitive Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We’ve all been there, with the dry and flaky patches of skin, or maybe the constant breakouts. Seriously, pimples are uncontested when it comes to popping up magically overnight. If only that could happen for something we really wanted, am I right? 

When something like that happens in the 21st century, we fall to Google. But it’s not that easy when you have sensitive skin, or even worse, ultra-sensitive skin. 

Unfortunately, I’m one of the unlucky souls to fall into the latter boat, where something like CeraVe makes me break out. 

Thankfully, I found ways to combat my skin problems on top of my skin problems, and hopefully, you will be able to too. 

*Please note: These are the skincare products that work for the author. HerCampus takes no responsibility if they do not work for you or cause problems.* 

1. TonyMoly 

Cleanser
Original photo by Alice Li

This is just one of the many products I have from their brand. I can’t make up the fact that TonyMoly has worked wonders for my skin. 

Many of their products are dedicated to skincare, though they also have some makeup items. And all of their packaging is adorable. Seriously, look at this lotion that comes in a panda-shaped container.

Cream
Original photo by Alice Li

If you go on their website, you can easily find the appropriate products you need for the skin concerns you have. Among my favorites are their variety of foaming cleansers and their moisturizing face/hand creams. 

I also have their Timeless Ferment Snail Lip Treatment Stick (fancy name for a chapstick that uses snail essence) and I will forever shout to the heavens how wonderful it is. It got rid of my dry, chapped lips in just two days (which if you live in New England during the winter, you know how amazing that is). And before you go off saying “Ewwww, snail?!” just know it doesn’t actually taste/smell like a snail, and it has been stated to be very good for your skin.  

Right now, they have a ton of holiday deals going on, but you can also find their products on Amazon. But wherever you buy it, this is one of the Korean brands with a lower price tag. 

Overall, most K-Beauty brands and products tend to use more natural ingredients than American-based ones. So when it comes to those of us with more sensitive skin, it can be amazing.

2. Neutrogena 

Neutrogena
Original photo by Alice Li

Okay, I know the criticism surrounding Neutrogena’s products. But before you come for me, hear me out. If you have sensitive skin, this brand works wonders. 

For me, it’s their inclusion of things like hyaluronic acid that keeps the pimples and breakouts at bay. When I had a little more acne than I was okay with (honestly, is any amount of acne okay?), their grapefruit cleanser was a miracle worker. Although it doesn’t work right away, over a short amount of time, you should see a difference in the quality of your skin. 

3. L’Oreal Paris 

Courtesy of L\'Oréal Paris

L’Oreal Paris may be known more for their makeup products than anything, but they also have a skincare line that is amazing. 

While it’s a more familiar name, it has pretty much the same products as most K-Beauty brands (and at a lower price tag, too). As far as skincare goes for them, I only have the Micellar Water, and it’s pretty fantastic. It doesn’t irritate my skin or dry it out too much, and it gets rid of the excess sebum that I also suffer from. 

4. DIY Anything 

woman with white towel on head and face mask
Photo by Polina Kovaleva from Pexels

We’ve all heard the rumors about DIY skincare and how it’s not always the best. But trust me when I say it is a haven for those with sensitive skin. 

It works the same way as a cocktail, right? When you know the exact ingredients going in it and the amount, it lessens the risk. 

And I know one of the prime worries is that it’s time-consuming, but it’s really not! In fact, one of the easiest tricks for smooth skin is an ice-cube. Yes, like the ones you get from your freezer. Just rub it quickly across your face, making sure not to stay in one place for too long, and that’s it! 

Another trick I picked up from TikTok is a DIY face mask using only plain yogurt and rice flour (it can be found at most Asian markets or on Amazon). Mix a spoonful of each to form a thick paste, apply every night, leave until it dries, then rinse off with warm water. Do this every day for two weeks and you’ll have smooth, acne-free, and glowing skin. 

5. Shea Butter

Shea Butter
Original photo by Alice Li

Shea butter is magical. Not only does it moisturize, but it also doesn’t cause breakouts! It’s a win-win! 

Shea butter is a natural ingredient found in most lotions, although you do have to check sometimes. However, if the product does contain it, the company wants you to know it and will often advertise it boldly across the front like the picture above. 

So next time you’re debating a lotion at the store, if you see this on the bottle, you should instantly add it to your cart. 

~

If I had to rate the products I use, K-Beauty would come out on top. It’s a combo of great ingredients that are both natural but also utilize some chemicals that are crucial for helping acne. 

That being said, I wouldn’t gloss over anything else listed here!

Alice Li

U Conn '22

Alice is a junior with a major in psychology and a minor in human development and family studies. In her spare time, she enjoys writing and listen to music. She is also an avid addict of coffee and binge-watching things on Netflix. You can also find her work at https://www.unf.spoonuniversity.com/author/aliceli.