This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Puberty, sex and pimples, oh my! 

If you’re a Netflix enthusiast, to any degree, you may have seen a handful of ads promoting the season two release of Big Mouth. Following up a rather fantastic season one, the writers of Big Mouth have done it again. Not only was the second season good, but it was somehow even better than the first. 

“Yes, I’m sure the entertainment standards of a twenty-something college student are high…” 

I hear you, but don’t have to take my word for it! The show has received a multitude of honorable mentions, gracing various entertainment platforms like IndieWire, Vox, The New Yorker and Rolling Stone

Still unimpressed? In lue of its media clout, the show has ranked an 8/10 on IMBd, an 8.6/10 on Rotten Tomatoes and has even been nominated for a primetime emmy. 

At first glance, this might seem like a rather exorbitant amount of praise for a show that rivals Game of Thrones in sexually explicit content. 

However, to anyone who’s prevailed through Big Mouth’s crude exterior, it’s clear that the show is much more than a handful of middle school kids stumbling through puberty. Without spoiling anything, let me give you a taste for what the show is actually about.

On the surface, we see the three central characters, Nick, Jesse, and Andrew, going through the textbook definition of “puberty”. Their chaotic, ludacris, and wildly entertaining misadventures are accompanied by their individual hormone monsters. These raunchy monsters are embodiments of their primal selves, in a sense, and act as morally questionable consultants to the kids. Worry not, their advice is usually interpreted by the children from a more critical standpoint.

As comical and light-hearted as the show is at face value, there is much more underneath those colorful animations and musical numbers. Here’s what we really see in Big Mouth, including season one and two:

• Representation in every sense, from race to sexuality.
  • Less than subtle critique of societal standards and stereotypes.
  • The role of shame in discovering our sexuality.
  • Questions of what maturity means.
  • Learning how to accept our flaws without berating ourselves with them.
  • Embracing not just our physical, but emotional selves.
  • Strong as frak females.
  • And shamelessly sentimental men.
  • A breaking down of traditional gender ideas.

Overall, Big Mouth isn’t just a couple of horny kids making morally questionable decisions. It’s about learning how to transition from child to adult. It’s a 21st century, filth ridden, coming of age story that strives to depict three kids making sense of the world around them. 

While there’s been no mention of a third season, as of now, it is highly likely that one will come into fruition. Given the wild success of the show to date, it’s expected that there will a season three addition to our beloved Big Mouth. Solid confirmation on this can be expected sometime this November, about a month after its season two release date. 

If you’re looking for a light hearted, crude, and somehow deeply sentimental and thought provoking show, Big Mouth is truly as good as it gets! 

I've been told I'm quite loud, but I prefer the term "expressive".