This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

1.     Stay Hydrated

The cardinal rule of body balance, proper hydration is key to avoiding overheating, headaches, and fatigue. Staying hydrated is also the secret for glowy skin and bright eyes, so consider it a part of your beauty routine! The recommended daily water intake is said to be 8 glasses per day, but carrying around 8 water bottles isn’t exactly ideal. You can find a large-sized and reusable water bottle nearly anywhere these days, especially at the Co-Op! Use it to cut back on how many times you have to refill or grab a new water, and save money by not buying your water every day.

2.     Slow it Down and Work Around the Sun

With the start of classes, your new on-campus job, and the four clubs you’re in (not to mention your precious social life), the first month of school can be hectic, and you might feel the need to rush 24/7. Running from class-to-class in that unforgiving sun may not only give you a burn to remember, but can dehydrate and tire you out, while also causing some serious sweat (ew!). Give yourself enough time between classes and the like to walk leisurely, and take air-conditioned shortcuts! Or, at the very least, walk in the shade to avoid heat exhaustion.

3.     Grab a Bus

Seriously. If walking in the sun all day isn’t your ideal way of getting around, jump on one of the may UConn buses traveling around campus. They’re air-conditioned and are much quicker than walking. Even if you’re just feeling a little overheated and need someplace cool to sit, hop on for a few minutes and get off somewhere close to your destination.

4.     Protect Your Skin

Though some lucky few can spend a great deal of time in those UV rays and turn a nice and toasty golden brown, some of us aren’t so fortunate. Especially for people with very fair skin who tend to burn easily, protecting your skin with sunscreen is super important. It’s a quick addition to your morning routine and you’ll thank yourself later!

5.     Bring a Fan, or Eight

Even if mostly everyone at this point is moved-in to their respective dorms or apartments, buying a cheap fan to circulate the stuffy air is fairly easy. A few are sold at the Co-Op, and there are several stores within 5-10 minutes of campus (if you can find someone with a car!) where you can buy a decent fan for a reasonable price. When it comes down to it, a fan makes a huge difference, especially in a two-person dorm. Plus, researchers say that sleeping in a cool environment as opposed to a warm one is better for falling and staying asleep, so you’ll feel more refreshed in the morning.

6.     Study Somewhere New

Tired of sweating at your 2×3 desk? Pack up your stuff and try doing your homework somewhere air-conditioned where the heat isn’t stressing you out. Places like the Benton Museum are not only air-conditioned, but this one has a café with yummy snacks and drinks, comfy chairs, and the art exhibits are always interesting. You won’t feel as bad taking a study break looking at some really captivating art as you would sitting on your phone! There’s also the Student Union (don’t forget—there are four different floors to use!), classroom buildings like Laurel Hall or the Austin building, and of course, the Library.

7.     Visit the Dairy Bar!

You knew this one was coming. If you have a free afternoon and the heat is starting to get to you, grab a friend and head to the UConn Dairy Bar for a cool treat! The ice cream is made right here and the heat is a perfect excuse to sneak some ice cream in before dinner (we won’t tell anyone).

Stay cool, collegiettes!