At the Polls: What is UConn’s Favorite Soup?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As we slowly but surely enter the beginning of autumn, it’s finally time to answer the question I know you’ve all been desperately wondering: what is UConn’s favorite soup?

A good bowl of soup on a chilly fall evening is just like a nice, warm hug. If you’re like me and consider yourself quite the soup enthusiast, it may be hard to pinpoint which delectable dish is your all-time favorite. Or, if you’re like my roommate— who when asked this question could only conjure up in her imagination a bowl of chicken noodle soup— take this as your sign to deep dive into the world of soup and try out some new dishes. 

I surveyed UConn students around campus and compiled a collection of UConn’s most popular soups. This list ranks the top five soups from most to least popular.

1. Chicken Noodle Soup

Duh. Chicken noodle soup is classic— and for good reason. Many of us have childhood ties to chicken noodle, like memories of our mothers feeding it to us to help us get over our colds. Traditionally consisting of chicken, noodles, and vegetables in chicken broth, chicken noodle soup is said to be a miracle worker against sickness (AKA, it’s rich in vitamins and minerals). The nostalgic factor here is real, but aside from that, chicken noodle soup really just is a great, staple soup.

2. Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I have to admit I was happily surprised to see broccoli cheddar come in so strongly as UConn’s second most popular soup. But who am I kidding— I was silly to doubt broccoli cheddar’s ability to come out up top. Ingredients here are pretty self-explanatory, but recipes also often include carrots, seasonings, cream, and vegetable stock. With its thick consistency, cheesy and garlicky flavors, broccoli cheddar soup is undeniably delicious.

3. New England Clam Chowder

A solid option. Clam chowder is largely made of chunky potatoes, clams, and onions. It often includes bacon or pork, and is based in a thick floury stock. If clam chowder is your favorite soup, you probably grew up eating it, as New England is the best place to enjoy it. Fun fact: oyster crackers were originally made to be eaten with clam chowder!

4. Tomato Soup

I’ve come to the conclusion (after much struggle) that tomato soup is my favorite soup. Usually thick and creamy, tomato soup is the perfect mixture of acidic and sweet. Tomatoes are the prime ingredient here (mixed with herbs and a splash of cream), so it’s no surprise that this soup is a great source of antioxidants. In my opinion, there’s no better way to eat a grilled cheese than by dunking it in tomato soup before taking a bite. Of course, it’s also great on its own.

5. French Onion Soup

Very fair. I do enjoy a good bowl of french onion soup every now and then. Super sweet and flavorful, french onion soup mostly consists of caramelized onions in beef stock. It’s usually topped with a layer of melted cheese and accompanied by a piece of bread (traditionally French bread, surprise surprise!) that’s typically dipped in the soup. Bonus points for the cute little pots it’s usually served in.

Runner-Ups: Split Pea Soup (another one of my favorites), Potato Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Matzo Ball Soup, Italian Wedding Soup, and Miso Soup, to name just a few.

Well, that’s it from me. I’ve had a blast divulging my passion for soup and hearing about yours! Maybe your favorite soup was featured in this article, or maybe this list introduced you to something new. Either way, I hope we both are able to continue our soup journeys and discover more tasty soup recipes this fall!

Adam Driver Soup GIF by VON GRAMBUSCH - Find & Share on GIPHY
Ava Reilly

U Conn '24

Ava is a junior English major at the University of Connecticut. She loves getting creative, spending time outdoors, watching movies, and listening to music!