Alyssa Pelletier: HuskyTHON Co-Director of Dancer Relations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name: Alyssa Pelletier

Major: Psychology

Year: Senior

Hometown: Middlebury, CT

Claim to Fame: Co-Director of Dancer Relations for HuskyTHON

What is HuskyTHON?

HuskyTHON is a year long fundraiser that culminates into an 18 hour dance marathon in February.  All of the proceeds go to Connecticut Children’s Medical Center which is a part of the Children’s Miracle Network.  On February 15th we will all come together at the Field House and enjoy a night of fun.  Throughout the night, Miracle Children who attend share their stories.  This is one of my favorite parts, because it reminds us all why we are there.  The kids think of HuskyTHON as something bigger than Christmas, and we love giving them a night focused on them. 

UConn students and alumni sign up as one of three different participants: Morale Captains, Dancers, and Volunteers:
Volunteers will sign up for at least one three hour shift where they will help execute the different activities going on throughout the night.  
Dancers will stand for the duration of the 18 hours and play with the miracle children who attend the event! 
The job of a morale captain is to keep the dancers positive throughout the 18 hours!
Without all of these people, HuskyTHON wouldn’t be a success!    

How are you involved and how did you become involved/hear about it?
My current position is Co-Director of Dancer Relations for the HuskyTHON Management Team.  Along with my Co-Director, Laura Roosevelt, we are in charge of recruiting dancers and forming a liaison between the Dancer Representative of the teams and the Management Team.  
I transferred to UConn as a sophomore and had no idea HuskyTHON existed.  An organization I joined created a team that year and I got involved right away.  At the end of the 18 hours, I vowed to myself I would continue to be a part of HuskyTHON, and I plan on returning as an alumni in years to come!       

How can other students become involved?
Getting involved with HuskyTHON is so easy!  Simply go to huskython.uconn.edu and register as a volunteer or dancer.  Students who are signed up on teams can also be a Dancer Representative or Fundraising Representative for their team.  These are leadership roles which aid in the communication between the Management Team and their individual teams.  At the beginning of each Fall semester, students can also apply to be Morale Captains.  Morale Captains help boost the morale the night of and provide positive energy to everyone.

Every single student at UConn should get involved with HuskyTHON!  The event itself is a lot of fun and the money we raise goes towards an incredible cause.  With over 1600 student’s participating last year we were able to raise over $340,000.  Imagine if every student helped out!    

What has been your biggest challenge or success that you have endured while working with HuskyTHON?
My biggest success so far this year is helping recruit the 900+ dancers we have so far!  At this time last year, and previous years, we haven’t had this many participants signed up.  It’s incredible and gives me chills to think how we are already improving so much from last year and it’s only November!  
Just the fact that I am able to have a larger role for HuskyTHON is an honor.  The Management Team, as well as the participants of HuskyTHON, work so hard year round to make a difference in the childrens’ lives.  We throw around the term “FTK” so much, but it’s only because that’s what it truly comes down to – the kids.  Watching them walk into the fieldhouse and seeing their faces instantly light up as everyone cheers their name gives me goose bumps every year.  Being able to positively impact their lives like we have is most definitely the biggest success.

When does HuskyTHON happen?
This year HuskyTHON is February 15th-16th!  

Oriana is a student at the University of Connecticut, with a double major in Communication and Spanish. She enjoys reading, traveling, espresso, and Vogue magazine.