This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Fast-fashion companies contribute to material waste, child labor, unsafe working conditions, and water pollution. The products produced are low-quality yet cheap and trendy.

On the other hand, sustainable fashion tends to be more expensive due to higher quality, organic, or even recycled materials. Garments last longer and tend to be more timeless (and less “fad-y”).

Lots of people, including me, want to shop sustainably but can’t resist the price of cheaper fast-fashion sites such as Shein, Pretty Little Thing, etc. Below are seven sustainable fashion alternatives that won’t break the bank.

1) Yes friends

Yes Friends produces comfy and cute basics for both men and women. Shop for simplistic hoodies and T-shirts that go with everything. They also have a denim collection coming soon. AND they support living wages for employees.

2) Chnge

If you enjoy trendy graphics and fighting for a cause, check out CHNGE. The brand uses fashion to promote organizations supporting reproductive justice, saving the planet, and Black Lives Matter. CHNGE sells hoodies, T-shirts, sweatpants, crop tops, and more.

3) For Days

For Days sells recycled fashion and accessories for adults and kids. Their hats, beanies, and loungewear are super cute! Check out the trendy For Better Days collection.

4) Vetta capsule

A little on the pricier side, VETTA promotes capsule wardrobes based on your personal style. They boast that just five of their pieces can be mixed and matched to create 30 different outfits! If you love fashion but lack the time to put together outfits yourself, this brand is for you.

5) aBLE

ABLE has everything: jewelry, accessories, shoes, bags, and clothes. This brand is also a little pricier, but it’s sustainable and ethical! The brand started out in Ethiopia to provide women with an opportunity for employment. Today, the brand is composed of 95% women.

6) H&M’s “Conscious Choice”

While H&M isn’t the most environmentally conscious choice on this list, this collection is a step in the right direction. Plus, these clothes are stylish and very affordable. 

7) ASOS’ “Responsibility Edit”

This collection is similar to H&M. Not the best option, as ASOS is a fast-fashion company, but a great start to shopping more sustainably! It features swimwear, dresses, jeans, and more. 

Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.