Add These 5 Books To Your Reading List: You Won’t Regret It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We’re just about to be done with another semester here at Storrs, or chances are you already packed your stuff up by the time you’re reading this. Regardless, another summer awaits, and along with this (at least for me) are endless beach trips and finding a friend with a pool — any chance to cool off when you can. My favorite part of enjoying a lazy day in the sun will always be curling up on a poolside chair with a good summer read, not a care in the world except getting to the next page. And if you’re like me, you scour the internet for good book recs to have on deck before. Well look no further, from enlightening and emotional to mysterious or lighthearted, here are some page-turners for your next getaway.

1. Gone girl by Gillian flynn

If you’ve seen the movie, read the book. If you haven’t seen the movie, read the book. From the infamous “cool girl monologue” to the riveting plot twists, this book is guaranteed to wrap you up in housewife Amy Dunn’s world, so much so you might get a sunburn. I especially recommend it to true-crime fanatics. This one had me on my toes.

2. The absolutely true diary of part-time Indian by sherman alexie

This is hands down one of the funniest and wholesome books I’ve ever read. It’s written from the perspective of a 14-year-old boy who leaves his reservation to study at the neighboring high school — one filled with preppy upper middle-class kids, who make it clear he’s a stranger in that world. It hosts a variety of scenes from hilarious to endearing, and also brings light to the Native American community and what it has had to endure since being banished to reservations.

3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This is easily one of my favorite books I’ve read this semester, and for good reason. Set in the 1930s, a veterinary student drops out of Cornell during his final exams and ends up working as a vet for a traveling circus. It travels between him present day in a nursing home and he recounts his past aboard the Benzini Brothers’ Circus. With delicious affairs, an endearing host of characters, and an adorable elephant, this book is guaranteed to keep you turning the page. Side note: there’s a movie and the main character is played by Robert Pattinson, in case you were wondering.

4. The Anthropocene reviewed by John Green

I was a huge John Green bibliophile circa middle school and high school, as any girl who watched The Fault In Our Stars probably was. As I grew, I’ve since drifted away from his books — that is, until this one. The hefty title drew me, and it really was an amazing read. Green recounts how we as Earth’s caretakers have mismanaged our role, as well as talking about his own ambitions and sentiments. He goes on to talk about his mental health, things he finds happiness in, and most importantly: reminds us to slow down and appreciate the wonders around us. It definitely is a top 10 must-read for the year.

5. Because of Mr. Terupt by rob buyea

I thought long and hard about what I’d leave you guys with for number five, and while I wanted to stick to the easily recommended like We Were Liars and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (read those if you get a chance), I figured I’d leave off with possibly one of my favorite books of all time. Because Of Mr. Terupt centers on a classroom that recently gets a new teacher, one that helps each of them change for the better until something terrible leaves the classroom looking for answers. It’ll keep you hooked, and there’s a sequel if you liked what you read.

Cheers to a good summer ahead, and keep your mind well-fed.

Gauri Menon

U Conn '25

Gauri is a rising junior at the University of Connecticut with a major in economics and an intended minor in data analytics. She loves listening to all kinds of music, and reading books about the world and articles about current issues, VoxNews being one of her favorite news outlets. She loves to learn.