8 Things I Learned In My Eight Semesters At UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

For my first two years I attended UConn Hartford, then I lived on Storrs Campus for my junior year and decided to commute for my senior year. It blows my mind to realize that in just a few weeks I will be a UConn Alumn. Since it is my last semester, I decided to reflect on my time at UConn and share what I’ve learned from my time here. 

1. Even strangers will love and support you.  Clearly shown through the various protests regarding the election of Trump, UConn’s budget and against hate speech. We are stronger as a united front than when trying to make a change on our own. 

2. College is really the best years of your life.  I understand that higher education is not a thing for everyone. But college is a time to explore, experience and experiment. Join clubs, attend events and take a bunch of classes from different departments.   

3. It is not just what you know, but also who you know.  Build friendships, make acquaintances with friendships, talk to your professors and advisers. One of these peoples could help you land a job one day.   

4. It’s okay to get lower grades, or fail a class. It is not the end of the world. Obviously, as students, we want to do our best and get good grades. We do not want to pay to retake a class, nor do we want our g.p.a. to drop as we’re trying to get into graduate school. But life happens, and you should not beat yourself up over it.   

5. If you want to find a lost item, get some free entertainment, or wanting to send out a PSA, Buy or Sell UConn is the place to go to. 

6. Don’t underestimate extracurricular activities. By joining a club you may find a passion that you never knew really knew you had. It could change your major, maybe even your life.   

7. It’s okay to skip a class here and there. You’re not going to fail, trust me. Sometimes you need a day to catch up or rest, it could make all the difference.

8. It is okay to not have your life all figured out by graduation. I graduate in just over a month, and while I am happy and excited, I am also overwhelmed and afraid. I’m contemplating going back to further my education. I’m applying to jobs and haven’t heard back from many. I just want to find a career where I can be happy to wake up and go to work. However, I do not know where to go from here, but it’s okay. 

Cover Image