yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

7 Delicious Halloween Sweets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

You have officially survived your midterms and are ready to celebrate Halloween weekend. As you prepare for your party, your costume is on point, you have the best drinks ready, and the ultimate playlist to get everyone up and moving. These seven sweet treats will have everyone talking! 

1. White Chocolate Mummy Pretzels

Recipe by Danelle McCollum.  

Ingredients

• 18-20 pretzel rods
  • 12 ounces white melting chocolate (such as Ghirardelli)
  • Candy eyeballs

Instructions

1. Melt chocolate according to package directions. Dip pretzel rods into white chocolate, covering about 2/3 of the pretzel. Gently tap pretzel rod on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate.
  2. Place two candy eyeballs on each pretzel rod (if they slip off, let the chocolate set for about a minute first). Place on waxed paper to set. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
  3. Carefully spoon remaining chocolate into a zip-top bag or squeeze bottle. If using a bag, snip of a small corner. Drizzle white chocolate over the pretzels, being careful not to cover the eyes, to resemble a mummy. Let white chocolate set completely before serving.    

2. Halloween Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies

Recipe by Melissa.

Ingredients

For the brownie layer:

• 1 cup sugar
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

​​For the cream cheese layer:

• 1 brick (8oz) cream cheese, at room temp
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • orange food coloring

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper or foil and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.

For the brownie layer:

1. In a medium bowl, add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
  2. In a small bowl, add the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Mix with a fork until well combined.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined.
  4. Reserve ¼ cup of the batter for the swirls then pour the remaining batter into the prepared baking dish.

For the cream cheese layer:

1. In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla. Blend until smooth.
  2. Add in the orange food coloring and stir to combine.
  3. Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter.
  4. Drop tablespoons of the remaining brownie batter on top and gently swirl with a knife or skewer.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set. Remove and let cool completely before slicing.

3. Caldron Cupcakes

Recipe by Crystal Owens.

Ingredients

• Silicone Cauldrons
  • Cake Mix
  • Frosting
  • Edible candy bones, bats and eyeballs
  • Mini pretzel sticks

Instructions

1. Prepare your cake mix according to package directions. Bake cupcakes in a cupcake pan lined with cupcake wrappers. Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Place cupcake inside silicone cauldron.
  2. Pipe frosting on cupcake, slightly press the back of a spoon to help create a messy bubbling cauldron look.
  3. Add candy pearls, eyes, bats and bones. Place a small pretzel stick inside the cupcake to add a stirring stick. 

4. Halloween Muddy Buddies

Recipe by Crystal Owens.

Ingredients

• 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup Kit Kats, cut into small pieces
  • ½ cup candy corn Hershey’s, fun size
  • candy skulls
  • sprinkles
  • edible eyeballs

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter for 1 minute; stir. Return to microwave for 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth.
  2. Stir in vanilla extract.
  3. Combine chocolate mixture with Chex cereal. Stir until evenly coated.
  4. Combine cereal and powdered sugar; mix until well coated.
  5. Add candy, sprinkles and eyeballs.
  6. Store in airtight container.

5. Halloween Spider Cookies

Recipe by Jen.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup Shortening
  • 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 tbsp Milk
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 3/4 cup Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 cup Sugar (for rolling)
  • 24 miniature Reese’s cups, unwrapped and frozen
  • 48 Candy Eyes
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together shortening, peanut butter, egg, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and milk.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
  4. Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat until blended.
  5. Form into 1″ balls, roll in sugar and place a couple of inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  6. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden.
  7. Immediately, gently press an upside down frozen peanut butter cup on top of each cookie and move to wire rack to cool.
  8. After placing and moving all of the cookies on the wire rack. Put in place the candy eyes while chocolate is still slightly soft.
  9. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow cookies to firm.
  10. Place chocolate chips in corner of zippered sandwich bag.
  11. Microwave for 20 seconds, knead and repeat until chocolate is melted.
  12. Clip very small piece off of corner of bag to allow for piping and draw 8 legs on each spider cookie.
  13. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow legs to set. 

6. Frankenstein Pretzels

Recipe by Beth.

Ingredients

• square or waffle pretzels
  • green candy melts
  • black candy melts
  • red candy melts
  • a little bit of vegetable shortening to help melt the candy melts
  • brown sprinkles
  • candy eye balls *or as a substitution use white candy melts and black candy melts
  • broken pretzel sticks

Instructions

1. In a small pot over low heat on the stove, melt the green candy melts with a small amount of vegetable shortening. The shortening will help to thin out the chocolate. Stir occasionally until melted.
  2. Place a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or wax paper near your work area. Place one waffle pretzel in the melted chocolate at a time, using a fork to fish the pretzel out of the chocolate, taping the fork against the side of the pot to remove excess chocolate. Transfer the pretzel to the lined baking sheet using a toothpick to help you slide the pretzel off.
  3. Once you have a handful of pretzels dipped make sure you add the brown sprinkles as hair, candy eye balls (if using), and broken pretzel sticks for Frankenstein’s bolts before the green chocolate sets.
  4. Once the green chocolate is a bit more set, prepare to add the red scars and black mouths by melting the appropriate colors in separate pots as you did the green candy melts. If you want to skip the candy eye balls use white candy melts and black candy melts to create eye balls. Add 2 white circles where you’d want the eyes to be then add smaller black circles inside.
  5. Allow the chocolate to harden completely before removing from the baking sheet and serving.  

7. Pumpkin Patch Mud Cups

Recipe by Jenae.

Ingredients

• 1 box Instant Chocolate Pudding
  • 3 cups milk
  • 2 packages Oreos 
  • 1 package Green Sour Straws Candy 
  • 1 package Pumpkin Candies 

Instructions

1. Make the pudding by following directions on the box (whisk together pudding mix and 3 cups cold milk.
  2. Use a food processor to crush the Oreos until smooth.
  3. Layer the Oreos and chocolate pudding in a clear cup. Oreos, pudding, Oreos, pudding, and top with Oreos.
  4. Top with a Green Sour Straw candy cut in half (the pumpkin vine) and three pumpkin candies.
  5. Serve with a spoon!

Cover photo source

SN graduated in 2018 from the University of Connecticut.