5 Ways to Use Your Voice for Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s hard to turn on the news without becoming overwhelmed by the state of our world. Between racial inequity, climate change, socioeconomic disparities, and the many other issues plaguing our time, it definitely feels like we’ve been left with a giant mess to clean up. But I have good news: in my opinion, there’s no generation more qualified to fix these problems than our own. No one has to change the world alone, but here are five ways you could pitch in.

Spread the word (literally)!

Word of mouth is a criminally underrated form of activism, in my opinion. A surprisingly effective way to inspire change is to just talk about it! Obviously, ranting to your mom about whatever issue you’re passionate about won’t miraculously solve a global problem (although it is therapeutic), but sharing your thoughts with the people surrounding you can create a butterfly effect. You might make your friend, professor, or barista look at something in a new way, and soon your network of passionate individuals fighting for change will grow.

Use social media

Perhaps the most intuitive method of inspiring change for our generation, social media is an amazing tool to reach a huge audience. Posting on Instagram, Twitter, or TikTok practically guarantees that a large audience will be exposed to your message. You can either create original content, like digital art, videos, or infographics, or you can use your platform to amplify the voices of people who are more affected by your issue of concern.

Call your local representatives

You may underestimate the power of having a conversation with an elected official. It’s easy to find your representatives’ contact information and give them a call. Don’t forget, they are in office to serve you! So tell them what’s on your mind and don’t hold back–let your passion shine through. Feel free to recruit others to join you. The more people who make calls, and the more often they do it, the greater the likelihood of pressuring an official into hearing you out.

Write to newspapers

I know, writing a letter to the editor of a paper may seem old-fashioned and unnecessary. But it’s actually a great way to reach audiences you otherwise wouldn’t, like older generations that may not run in your circle or be on social media. Simply find a local (or national!) paper, check the website to find where to send your letter to the editor, and get writing. This is also valuable practice for expressing your ideas clearly.

Join or organize a protest

Protests are a way to use your voice without having to speak or write too much. Instead, you can come together with many others to make a collective statement about a problem that concerns you. Check for social media posts or signs around your school or neighborhood to find a demonstration. If you can’t find one, organize one yourself! Any number of people can create change through protest–just look at Greta Thunberg; her profound impact started out with just one girl and a sign.

Whichever method you choose to use your voice, be sure to always speak your truth and fight for what you believe in. Get out there and make your mark on the world!

Amanda McCard is a junior at UConn majoring in environmental studies and journalism. She writes a range of articles for Her Campus, including ones about culture, entertainment and travel. She is a Sustainability Intern at the UConn Office of Sustainability, where she helps write the monthly newsletter and creates engaging social media content. She has written articles for Planet Forward, an environmental publication based out of George Washington University. Amanda loves hiking, creative writing and yoga. She likes to make her own bath products and dreams of learning to scuba dive.