Wellness

5 Ways To Practice Self-Care Sundays At UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As students, we can all agree that college is not easy, and it can be very stressful at times. From constantly studying, writing papers, and turning in assignments, we can become easily overwhelmed and forget to do the little things to take care of ourselves.

Practicing self-care looks different for everyone, but taking the time out of your day to do any or all of these five things can help alleviate some of your stress and help you embrace more positivity and happiness in your life.

1. Go to Brunch at the Dining Hall

Waking up on the weekends to go to brunch is a good way to practice self-care. Whether it is going to your closest dining hall or your favorite dining hall, treating yourself to a nice meal to start your day is beneficial. My personal weekend brunch favorite is Whitney Dining Hall. The energy and vibes in there are great, and it reminds me of a cafe or diner-style environment. From hearing the student-made playlists ranging in genre to seeing the cute little decor they have up, it is a great place to be.

sunday brunch food
Meredith Kress / Her Campus

2. Physical Activity

Getting in some physical activity for the day is another great way to practice self-care. If you love to work out, hitting up the Rec on a Sunday is a good choice. Even if you’re like me and can be shy to go to the gym sometimes, resetting on a Sunday and starting again is also a great move. I know that going to the gym can be strenuous sometimes or you may not be in the mood, so as an alternative, going for a nice relaxing walk around campus can be peaceful and active at the same time. UConn has such a nice campus and when you get a chance to walk around without having to rush to your next class you can soak in the environment while also being active and practicing self-care.

3. Greenhouse Visit

The two on-campus greenhouses are a hidden campus gem. One is located behind the Torey Life Sciences building, and the other is next to Towers. I can assure you going to the greenhouse is pure serotonin. Whether you are truly interested in the variety of plants housed here, or if you just want a nice quiet place on campus, I recommend the greenhouses. I love to go here to read a book and journal on the weekends. Being in a tranquil environment clears my headspace for me to write down my thoughts and journal, while also allowing me to dive into a new or current read that I am trying to finish. I can spend hours in there just reading, and getting away from the constant scrolling on my phone is so wholesome.

4. Treat yourself in Downtown Storrs

Treating yourself to a nice meal or sweet treat in Downtown Storrs is a great form of self-care for yourself. Whether it is a meal from Mooyah, a Boba Tea, or a cookie and ice cream from Insomnia, Downtown Storrs has something waiting for you to treat yourself right. I love going downtown just to buy myself a S’mores cookie from Insomnia once in a while. 

5. Self-care night

Ending your night with a self-care night in your dorm is golden. Whether it is just going through your step-by-step unwind routine, or doing something extra in your skincare routine. Emphasizing and affirming what you do is a great way to love yourself. I like to take extra steps in my skincare routine by using eye masks and face masks while listening to music to wrap up my self-care for the day. 

Taking time out of our busy days to focus on ourselves is crucial. It is hard to do this, especially on a college campus, but investing in ourselves and romanticizing what we have is key. These five simple examples are easy ways we can care for ourselves here at UConn.

Jaiden Shekoni is a second-year honors student studying Physiology & Neurobiology and Speech, Language & Hearing Science on a pre-dental track. She was born and raised in London, United Kingdom. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her spending much time practicing self-care, listening to music and, hanging out with friends.