5 Ways to be Productive on a Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you can tend to use a snow day as an excuse to be lazy and spend the whole day lying in bed. However, as college students, we must fight the urge to lounge around and instead do something productive. Here are five ways to stay on top of things once a snow day arrives:

1. Don’t sleep too late

Waking up at a decent time is essential to being productive. This means fighting the urge to go in and out of sleep until it’s one in the afternoon. Trust me, I know it’s hard not to sleep your life away when you don’t need to be up for class. However, if you get up in the morning and stick to your routine- showering, getting dressed, making your bed, and even putting on makeup-it will get you in the mood to accomplish things throughout the day.

2. Get some assignments done

Once you’ve set yourself up for the day, break out the planner and make sure you are staying on track for school. Make a list of things that are due in the coming days and crank out some online quizzes or whatever you may have for the week. Even if the snow prevents you from getting to the library, you could always find a common room or work at your desk in your dorm room.

3. Make sure you eat

I know the snow makes it a hassle to get to the dining hall, but it’s important to get some nutrition in you in order to stay focused and have energy for the day. You should definitely go and get some food if you’re like me and only have a small selection of microwavable foods and potato chips to eat in your room. You can even stay in the dining hall for awhile and get some work done if you can deal with a little background noise.

4. Do some cleaning

A day off from school is the perfect time to tidy up your room or even do some laundry. It may seem hard to accomplish these things in between classes or at night when you’re trying to do work. So, take advantage of the time you have. You could wash your sheets and towels, organize your desk, or vacuum your room. Or, you could organize your clothes and shoes.

5. Catch up with family and friends

Once you’ve gotten a good amount of work done, it’s a good idea to sit back, relax and talk to your family and friends. A simple phone call or FaceTime is a good way to reconnect and also pass the time. It’s good to keep in touch with friends to exchange stories about your college experience and to let your parents know how you’re doing. A video or voice call is always better than texting when you have the ability to do so.

Cover Image Source