This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As a movie lover, autumn is my favorite season to rot on the couch (or in your childhood bed) and watch hours and hours of movies. Here are my top five not-so-stereotypical films to watch this fall that are sure to feel like a warm hug!

Matilda (1996)

Growing up, this was and still is one of my favorite movies of all time. Maybe it’s the childhood nostalgia of elementary school, but Matilda’s dream to go to school and learn is so heartwarming and helps me to remember how much I loved back-to-school season in September. Danny Devito’s acting and narration, as well as the fantastic soundtrack (when she moves the furniture around to “Little Bitty Pretty One” by Thurston Harris!), takes the film to a whole new level of joy. And I will never forget the scene where the cutest little Matilda makes pancakes and reads the newspaper!

Brooklyn (2015)

Adapted from Colm Tóibín’s novel of the same name, Brooklyn tells the story of a young Irish immigrant named Eilis, played by Saoirse Ronan, and her journey to a better life in New York City. We get to see the many friends she makes along the way including the girls at her boarding house and her future boyfriend, an Italian guy who introduces her to his big family full of laughter and love. As she acclimates to her new surroundings, Eilish grows to be an independent, young woman. The stunning city scenery, old romantic storyline, and Saoirse’s delicate performance makes this the perfect film for fall.

Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

Stunning animation, cute storyline, witchy, summers, beautiful scenery, and detail.

Studio Ghibli’s animation is so underrated! Kiki’s Delivery Service tells the story of a young witch named Kiki, who along with her loyal black cat, Jiji, must hop on her broomstick and find a new town to live in. Though most of the setting takes place in the summer, this film has many autumnal traits including Kiki’s witchy wardrobe (black dress and red ribbon!) and her little apartment above a cute bakery. Her tenacity for life and positive attitude were so refreshing to watch along with the many landscapes of the sea-side city!

Paddington (2014)

Starring the beloved, plucky English bear, dressed in a blue raincoat and red little hat, Paddington is a film for the whole family! Everything about this movie screams autumn in London, from the double-decker buses and iconic red phone booths to its orange-ish warm color palette. Not to mention, the soundtrack is delightful and super similar to the music from Harry Potter (same producer). I’ve started listening to it on my way to class, I highly recommend!

The Peanuts Movie (2015)

As much as It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is a classic autumnal film, I think The Peanuts Movie captures all the same nostalgic, spooky vibes with cuter animation. When I first watched the movie, it reminded me of the Halloween parties we used to have in elementary school. The film spans a full school year in the life of Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts gang. Charlie struggles with his self-image and confidence but never stops trying to be a better person. When “the little red-haired girl” joins his class, he falls in love and does everything he can to try and impress her. Charlie Brown’s determined spirit is what makes his story so enjoyable and heartfelt.

Honorable Mention: Hubie Halloween (2020)

There’s not much else to say other than Adam Sandler, playing a detective in a murder case, rides a bike with an orange helmet through Salem, MA!

I’m starting to see a theme with my list. I guess the best movies for autumn are full of nostalgic school memories, independent characters, and baked goods! Happy watching!

Hi, my name is Alexandra! I am currently Junior at the University of Connecticut living on the Storrs campus. I am a communications major with a minor in digital marketing and analytics!