picture of UConn sign in the front of campus
Original photo byBailey Brake
Life > Academics

5 UConn Organizations To Help You Succeed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Success for everyone can mean something different. Whether it be to make long-lasting friends and connections, get your dream job, or even find time to do what makes you happy, UConn has everything for everyone. Here are some organizations UConn offers to help you succeed at whatever you are aspiring to do.

1. Academic Achievement Center

The Academic Achievement Center located in the Storrs, Waterbury, and Hartford campuses offers academic coaching to help all students learn how to manage their stress, learn organizational skills, provide them strategies for deeper learning, and so much more. With a one-on-one peer coach, whenever you may feel overwhelmed by the amount of homework you have or are worried about your success in the classroom, the “AAC” will welcome you — just stop by!

2. Center for career development

UConn’s Center for Career Development provides students with professional development. From first teaching students how to create a resume, to strengthening it, to providing mock interviews; students that utilize this organization are more prepared for the working world. Scheduling a career coaching appointment can also give you aid in finding the best internships for you while still in college!

3. Learning Communities

Joining a Learning community, whether residential or not, is a great way to form connections and network with peers who share the same interests as you. Whether or not that interest aligns with your major also does not matter. Having the opportunity to explore and really immerse yourself in what you are passionate about is a great way to make yourself happy. With over 30 learning communities to choose from, the key to your success is your happiness!

4. Community Outreach

Joining a volunteer organization is a wonderful way for students to give back to their community, make new friends, and take on leadership roles. Community Outreach is student-led, where over 100 students hold formal leadership positions, which are great for resume-building and as a practical skill. Volunteering is a great way for you to connect with your community and become the leader you know you can be. So, what are you waiting for?

5. Her Campus

Her Campus is the best online magazine for college women to write on topics such as politics, college living, health, relationships, careers, and so much more. Students from all majors can apply to join. Aside from Her Campus having a great platform to express your ideas, as well as being a great addition to your resume, Her Campus also holds bonding events to ensure you make great friends while in college. So, come join us!

HC Homepage?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

It is also important that students get involved in organizations that are specifically related to their major as a way for them to gain a better understanding of what their future careers will look like. Not to mention, gaining hands-on experience in your aspiring field while in college can set you apart in the application process and make you a higher priority in the hiring decision. 

Last but not least, maintaining a social life is also invaluable for the college experience. Students should grow their network by meeting new people and attending unique university events with their new friends. In the future, your university friends can help you gain more connections to either help find a job you did not know you wanted or assist you in landing that dream job you have worked so hard to get. 

Essentially, to really ensure you find success at college, you must find balance in your daily life while at university. You must dedicate your time to attending classes, going to professors’ office hours, completing your homework, and studying. But you must also get involved in organizations that help you network with new people, allow you to explore and immerse yourself in your passions, and help you gain practical experience for your future career. You must also dedicate time to creating, building, and strengthening your relationships with your friends and your new acquaintances. 

Yes, it can seem overwhelming how we should manage our time to balance these opportunities and responsibilities, but the first step to success is knowing what is available to us, allowing us to form our plan accordingly. 

Anna Heqimi is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Connecticut. As part of the Academics Team, she covers topics from academic resources students can utilize, to fun networking events students should attend to prepare for the professional world. She also enjoys to keep students informed about campus events. Anna is also a reporter for the news department at the UConn Student Television and a contributor for the Life section of The Daily Campus. In her free time, Anna enjoys hanging out with friends, swimming and dancing.