This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The walk to your 8am is absolutely freezing. You find yourself stopping to take pictures of the trees exploding with incredible color on your way to class. You have the urge to rewatch Gilmore Girls… again. The lingerie you ordered for Halloweekend from Amazon is on back order. Fall is HERE.

In addition to the usual autumnal activities on your radar, let me add another: Crocheting!

Personally I’ve been crocheting since late 2020, a part of my self discovery during quarantine. After seeing so many videos on TikTok of these incredible creations people had been making, I committed to teaching myself how to do this seemingly magical craft. After almost two years into my grandma-era hobby, I feel equipped to share some of my favorite things to crochet for fall including some items that are on my list to create! So without further ado, here they are:

(While all of these items I would classify under beginner friendly, mastering the basics first is essential! If you’ve never crocheted before YouTube is your best friend and Amazon has tons of materials.)

Shrug

I just about screamed when I saw this shrug on Instagram, and was overjoyed when I found out the creator has a tutorial with in-depth instructions for sizes XS-XXL. Shrugs are such a cute option for layering as the weather becomes slightly more erratic in its temperature shifts. It’s perfect to pair over a turtleneck or a tank top depending on how much warmth you want. Play around with types of yarn material and weight for customizable coziness! Use a warm color palette for a more autumnal vibe or whatever suits your fancy.

mini pumpkin

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how CUTE this little pumpkin is. You thought this article was just going to be clothing? Wrong! Get in loser we’re making our own decor too. What’s better than pumpkins in fall? Mini pumpkins that’s what. Might I also suggest sewing on eyes and a mouth for a jack-o-lantern with some added pizzazz. BRB on my way to make a dozen to scatter around my room.

fingerless gloves/hand warmers

The New Englander in me once scoffed at the notion of having gloves that did not cover your fingers in what sometimes feels like the tundra. While the style of fingerless gloves was originally intended for physical activities to protect hands while allowing room for finger dexterity, it was popularized in fashion by Madonna in the ’80s. I have since come to see the light over these accessories that provide gorgeous layering options, added warmth, and frankly just make you look really cool IMO. (Just promise to layer with actual gloves when it does get cold, your fingertips will thank you.)

maple leaves

More decor! The possibilities with these adorable little leaves are endless. Here’s some options:

• feed a piece of string through the top peaks to create a banner of maple leaves to hang over a doorway or above a TV
  • hang individually from the ceilings using string to create a permanent state of falling leaves
  • add a few more rows to the circular center to create festive drink coasters (be sure to use cotton yarn for its heat resistant and durable properties!)
Tote Bag

Tote bags are an essential for every season and fall is no exception. There are countless options for how to make these staple accessories once you learn how to make granny squares. Granny squares are so versatile in their patterns, from flowers to checkerboards, you can find a tutorial for just about anything and choose colors from there. Here is one of my favorite patterns for attaching the squares together, and a gorgeous sunflower square with beautiful fall colors.

Lastly, here’s a fall playlist to listen to while you yarn over. Happy crocheting!

Megan is the PR/Event Planning Coordinator of Her Campus UConn. She is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying Allied Health Sciences and WGSS, on a pre-Occupational Therapy track. Megan enjoys writing articles about music, crafting, and incredibly niche astrology takes. This past summer Megan interned at Bradley Hospital under an Occupational Therapist, and her dire spending habits were largely funded by her other job in retail. When she's not writing or being a woman in stem, you can find her romanticizing her life through her Spotify playlists while doing one of her many hobbies. Megan's favorite pastimes are reading poorly written fantasy/romance, crocheting, and the gym, where she does more chatting than lifting.