Sunset on the beach of Nice, France.
Sunset on the beach of Nice, France.
Original photo by Zoe Collins

5 Things I Learned During My Gap Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Taking a gap year was never part of my post-high school plan. The community I grew up in did not portray gap years as a smart academic option. So, when I had to unenroll from the college I had dreamed of for so long and worked so hard to get into for financial reasons, I felt doomed. But after deciding to take a year off of school, I realized it was the absolute best decision for me. Here are five things I learned during my gap year.

1. Traditional education isn’t for everyone

Schools preach rhetoric that to find any success in life, you have to follow a traditional path. But it’s becoming more and more common to not attend college or seek alternative education. I’ll never forget being told by a school counselor during my sophomore year of high school that I wouldn’t get into college and would never find a job with the classes I had chosen to take. I was terrified for years after that conversation that I was never going to be successful. But five years after that conversation, I am in college working towards my career despite taking an alternative route. There are many options besides traditional college like trade school which allows students to learn applicable skills for jobs like carpenters, HVAC technicians, mechanics, electricians, cosmetologists, and more. College certainly isn’t for everyone and there are endless fulfilling jobs to be found without a degree. Even if you are seeking a degree, it can be incredibly beneficial to take a gap year, whether before starting college or somewhere throughout the process. Sometimes it takes longer than four years to obtain a degree, sometimes less. Despite the social pressures, take whatever route feels right for you.

2. real-life experience is valuable

One of my biggest goals, when I decided to take time off school, was to move out of my parents’ houses and start paying a lot of my own bills. I was lucky to find an apartment and moved there less than a week after I turned 18. Though I always had a job throughout high school, I never had to manage money the way I did with rent, insurance payments, and other expenses. For most of my gap year, I had to work two jobs and for a short time, three to afford my expenses. But that experience has given me so many necessary skills in managing money, budgeting, and taking on more responsibilities. Like any freshly independent 18-year-old, I had months where I spent too much money and had to live off of the free salad from the restaurant I worked at to save rent money. But by the end of my gap year, I had figured out how I could save money while still affording all my bills, traveling, and having occasional fun-money. I am incredibly grateful that I had to take more responsibility and figure things out away from my parents — it has helped me tremendously in my transition to adulthood.

3. appreciate the people you meet along the way

The hardest thing to accept when I decided to take a gap year was that my friends would all still be leaving for college and I would be moving away from my family. I felt so lonely for months. There is a lot of value in spending time with yourself, but I wanted people to lean on. I started working at a restaurant in October of my gap year and though it took some time to make friends, the people I met through that job are among some of the most incredible I know. They are people who supported me through hard times, who made me laugh, who checked in on me, who spent time with me doing the most random things, and who made me feel loved during a very lonely time. These people continue to be a part of my life even though I’m 2,000 miles away, and I am so grateful to know them.

By far the most memorable people I met during my gap year were the kids and adults I worked with as a middle school resource paraprofessional. My job was to support kids with physical and learning disabilities in their classes. Between the children and the other paraprofessionals, I have never met more caring, hardworking, dedicated people. Despite their differences and difficulties, the students I worked with always acted kindly and worked incredibly hard. Seeing the way the paras cared and advocated for the children was admirable. I am grateful for that experience as it changed me for the better and has taught me to seize every day and live life with so much more kindness and appreciation. The people you meet when you’re young will change you forever and it’s important to appreciate that.

4. Travel!

The most incredible thing I did during my time off was traveling to Europe by myself twice. I spent a month and a half traveling between England, France, and Italy in the fall of 2022 and two weeks in Nice, France in May of 2023. I saved up graduation money and worked six days a week between multiple jobs to afford my travels. I was fortunate enough to have friends in Andora, Italy who kindly let me stay with them when I wasn’t staying in hostels. My month-and-a-half endeavor was a soul-opening experience and taught me so much about what I want from life and how capable I am. It was the most terrifying thing I have ever done but also the most powerful and incredible. By the time I went back to Europe in May, I felt confident in my ability to travel solo and took advantage of my time there. I firmly believe that if you have the resources and ability, everyone should spend time traveling. It doesn’t have to be far — I even consider my travels in the United States to be valuable — but getting to see the world makes you feel more a part of it. Traveling can teach you so much about yourself and gives valuable insight into the way other people live their lives. I will always be grateful for my time traveling.

Museé Oceanographique de Monaco
Original photo by Zoe Collins

5. treat yourself with kindness

I feel incredibly passionate about the fact that every person should treat themself with kindness, patience, and love. Until I took time off school and had to learn how to be on my own and manage the panic associated with entering this new chapter of my life, I never acted kindly towards myself. I felt like a failure for unenrolling from college, but slowly learned that whatever decision I made was okay and I had to give myself patience to figure things out. We all have our own paths in life and the best way to make it through is by giving yourself the kindness you deserve. Don’t fall victim to comparison — give yourself credit for your own life and experiences and do whatever makes your heart happy.

Conclusion

It’s impossible to know at such a young age exactly what you want from life and education. Taking a gap year can be an extremely beneficial way to take some time and decide what is best for you. I am forever grateful that I took time off of school because of the people I met, the experiences I had, and the skills I gained. After everything, I love where I ended up. Above all, do what gives you joy and helps you achieve your dreams, despite what anyone says to discourage you.

Zoe Collins is originally from Colorado Springs, Colorado. She is a first-year journalism major at the University of Connecticut. Her dream is to work as an investigative journalist. Zoe enjoys writing articles about literature, music, and self love, as well as current events. Zoe is an avid reader of science fiction, fantasy, and classic literature. In her spare time she loves to practice yoga, get tattoos, and listen to all kinds of music.