This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I know I’m not the only collegiette out there planning to have a serious Netflix binge next week with the arrival of all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls on October 1st!  In honor of this momentous occasion, let’s take a look back at the top five lessons we learned watching the lives of Stars Hallow’s finest, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore.

1. The day doesn’t start until that first cup of coffee.

Coffee, coffee, coffee. The Gilmores completely understood the importance of coffee and how it relates to the rest of the day.  They’re commonly seen with coffee in their hands, mostly at Luke’s, of course.

2. The mother-daughter relationship is very special.

No matter if you’re relationship is more Lorelai-Emily or Rory-Lorelai, that is a bond that should be cherished. Even through hard times and arguments, your mother will always be there for you.

3. It’s okay to wallow.

We’ve all been in the place where we want to pretend everything is awesome after a bad breakup (or any other sad event, really). Lorelai gives us the reassurance that wallowing is okay, even necessary! So grab a box of tissues, some junk food, a super sappy movie, and your best friend when you’re in need of some wallowing.

4. Not everything is always as it seems.

Rory’s best friend Lane hid a stash of rock CDs in her floorboard, Jess had a big heart even though he acted like a tough guy, Paris turned from a mean girl to a close friend. You can’t be too quick to make judgments because people may surprise you.

5. Don’t let anything (or anyone) hold you back from following your dreams!

Lorelai moved to Stars Hallow as a new sixteen-year-old mother and worked her way up from a maid at the Independence Inn to opening up the Dragonfly Inn with her best friend, Sookie.  Rory worked hard in school and at her writing, not letting boys or prejudices get in the way of her writing career. Find out what’s important to you and stick to it just like the Gilmore Girls!

Currently a senior at the University of Connecticut, Grace McMorrow is pursuing a degree in Journalism and Communications.  From a young age she could be found sitting in a comfy corner devouring a book or filling up a journal and her love of words has only grown with age. She's learned to embrace her awkward, quirky nature once she learned being like Mia Thermopolis or Jessica Day isn't all that bad. Grace tends to spend her free time staying up to date on pop culture, obsessing over fictional characters, and daydreaming about her next faraway travel destination.