5 Heath Ledger Movies to Watch in Celebration of His Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Today marks the late Heath Ledger’s 37th birthday. What better way to celebrate than to watch some of his best work? In honor of his life, here are five movies that make us wish he was still with us:

1. The Patriot (2000)

This is one of Heath’s earliest roles where he plays the son of a war hero played by Mel Gibson. 

2. Brokeback Mountain (2005)

In this movie, Heath and Jake Gyllenhaal (who is the godfather of Heath’s daughter Matilda), star as a gay couple having an affair. Their beautiful love story should be admired by all. 

3. Lords of Dogtown (2005)

This underrated film is set in the 1970s and stars Heath as the leader of a skateboarding crew in California. 

4. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

For many girls, this movie is a staple of their middle school years. In the romantic “dramedy,” Heath plays the bad boy going after the “hard-to-get” girl, played by Julia Stiles.  

5. The Dark Knight (2008)

Heath’s role as The Joker was one of his last performances and it can be argued that it is his best work. This role really showcases his ability to successfully portay any kind of character. (Good luck, Jared Leto, at playing The Joker in the new Suicide Squad film as perfectly as Heath did here.)

Happy Birthday Heath! The world sure does miss you, your talent, and that contagious smile.

Cover Image Credit