Style > Beauty

4 Indigenous-Owned Beauty Brands You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Indigenous Peoples’ Day, celebrated in the U.S. on Oct. 10, is a nationally-recognized holiday meant to fight against the centuries-long erasure of Indigenous peoples in the United States. In the world today, Indigenous people still face discrimination, and they’re disproportionally affected by things like climate change, gender violence, and health issues.

In 2021, President Joe Biden became the first president to formally recognize Indigenous Peoples’ Day, although it’s not yet a federal holiday. Mere recognition isn’t enough, but it’s a step in the right direction.

If you’re looking to support Indigenous voices, here are four amazing Indigenous-owned beauty brands below that you can shop and support.

1. Cheekbone beauty

Cheekbone Beauty sells eyeshadow bundles, lip kits, brow gels, and so much more. The Build Your Own Face Palette uses sustainable, eco-friendly refills to reduce excess packaging.

The brand promises to “forge the path to true sustainability, in line with the teachings in our Indigenous roots, creating a perfect circular economy in the cosmetics space.” The brand combines social media, education, and beauty to create an eco-friendly community that uplifts Indigenous voices.

Based in Canada, the brand has donated over $150,000 to non-profit organizations such as the Navajo Water Project and One Tree Planted.

2. Blended girl cosmetics

Blended Girl, launched last December, is cruelty-free, Indigenous-owned, and one-woman-owned. On Oct. 10, Blended Girl dropped a brand new collection called Good Medicine. It includes an eyeshadow palette, collagen eye mask, body spray, and a bundle of white sage.

Check out model Quannah Chasinghorse wearing the brand’s Native Glare Palette in the Allure cover above.

3. Prados beauty

Prados Beauty sells eyeshadow palettes, lashes, glosses, and blushes marked by unique packaging with beautiful artwork. The founder, Cece Meadows, calls the traditional homelands of the Piro-Manso-Tiwa people (in Las Cruces, New Mexico) her home. Meadows created the brand to “bring light and awareness to Indigenous peoples, our stories, our true history, resiliency and beauty.” She hopes to build a community of “dreamers and misfits who choose to follow their own path in life.”

4. Ah-shi beauty

Ah-Shi Beauty sells both skin care (serums, moisturizers, toners) and cosmetics (brow pencils, BB creams, lip balms). The brand is hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, and paraben free.

Founder Ahsaki Báá LaFrance-Chachere, a member of the Navajo Nation, didn’t grow up near a Sephora or Ulta Beauty store. So, she set out to build her own luxury makeup and skincare brand and opened a store to carry the products.

LaFrance-Chachere told InStyle, “The brand name itself connects my culture with the world. Ah-Shí in Diné (Navajo) means ‘This is me. This is mine.’ Ah-Shí Beauty translates to ‘This is my beauty.’ When you look at yourself in the mirror and say ‘Ah-Shí Beauty,’ you’re saying ‘This is my beauty.'”

Happy shopping! To learn more about Indigenous peoples, land rights, current human rights violations, and protecting Indigenous cultures, check out Amnesty International.

This article is part of a series, #FeministFriday, where Chloe Hummel seeks to highlight standout feminists making a difference in the world right now. Stay tuned!

Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.