4 Books to Read This Spooky season That won’t keep you up at night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner and in my opinion, there’s nothing better than matching your books to the current season or holiday! But, a lot of the Halloween book recommendations are in the horror genre, and not all of us are horror readers. So I compiled a list of 4 Halloween-y books from 4 different genres, so every reader can enjoy Halloween without being scared straight!

A Letter To three witches by Elizabeth bass

A Letter to Three Witches is the perfect read for anyone who loves general fiction! This story follows Gwen and her two cousins, all of whom are a part of a family of witches. But the catch is that their family has been banned from practicing magic! When the cousins get an ominous letter from Gwen’s adopted sister, the cousins have to decide if they will go against the rules and go back to their magical roots.

This book is great for anyone who enjoys hilarious family dynamics, talking cats, and of course, witches! A Letter to Three Witches is the perfect light read to pick up during spooky season.

Ninth House By leigh Bardugo

You may know author Leigh Bardugo from her hit YA Fantasy series: Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows. This book is Bardugo’s first installment in her first Adult Fantasy series. Ninth House follows Alex Stern, a girl with a dark past who finds herself in the middle of Yale’s magical secret societies. After a traumatizing event, Alex is offered a second chance— a full scholarship to Yale, but she has to become a part of Lethe, the society that monitors magic at Yale. As Alex integrates herself into New Haven, she comes into contact with dangerous magic and even more dangerous people.

Once again, Leigh Bardugo builds a world and characters that you can’t look away from. Ninth House is perfect for anyone looking to get into the Adult Fantasy genre. But, I want to note that this novel edges closer to the horror genre than the other titles on this list, so proceed with caution! Please make sure to read trigger warnings before picking up this book.

The Seven 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle By Stuart Turton

The Seven 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a classic whodunnit mystery novel. Reminiscent of Clue with a Groundhog Day twist, this book is sure to keep you on your toes. Aiden Bishop is trapped in the same day. Everyday the same thing happens— there is a party at Blackheath Manor, and at the end of the night, Evelyn Hardcastle dies. Aiden’s only way to get out of the loop is to figure out who murdered Evelyn. But every time the day starts over, Aiden is trapped in the body of a different party guest.

This novel is full of twists and turns and is a perfect murder mystery to read around Halloween. Blackheath Manor is comparable to the classic Haunted Mansion, except the danger isn’t found in the supernatural— it’s entirely human.

Witchful thinking By Celestine Martin

Finally, Witchful Thinking is for the romance readers. This new release follows Lucy, a witch who lives in the magical town of Freya Grove. When Lucy, her two sisters, and her cousin decide to perform a spell that allows each of them to make one wish, Lucy’s life is turned upside down. All of the sudden, all of the opportunities Lucy has ever hoped for are flying at her at full force. Coincidentally, (or not so coincidentally) Alex, Lucy’s best friend from high school is in town. The pair haven’t seen each other in ten years, and they keep finding themselves drawn to one another.

This book is filled with every kind of magical being you can think of, and it’s a perfect book for anyone who loves the second-chance romance and friends-to-lovers tropes!

Hopefully these recommendations are able to tide you over for the rest of spooky season. Happy reading and happy Halloween!

Riley Hines

U Conn '24

Riley is a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in English with a minor in Communications. She spends her time reading, spending time with friends and family, and cuddling with her dog. You can always find her in the campus Starbucks getting another coffee!