20 Throwbacks You Should Be Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for looking back on the months past and being thankful for all that has happened and all that is yet to come. Sitting at the dinner table filled with festive foods and desserts and realize how much we have to be thankful for whether it be family, friends, or even throwbacks!

Movies/ TV Shows

Friends: It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving if you weren’t spending it remembering or thinking about the cast of Friends or at least one of the Friends thanksgiving episodes.

Gilmore Girls: You can’t deny that we all had the dream of living in a small cute town like Stars Hollow, being as smart as Rory, and having a mom as cool as Loreali.

Mean Girls: Why not start your holiday season early by bringing it back with the cast of Mean Girls and Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams “Jingle Bells” performance.

Degrassi: The drama of Degrassi gave us such high hopes about what the high school experience was but turns out it’s not really like that.

Breakfast Club: Let’s go back to where it all began, The Breakfast Club defined high school for the late 80s & 90’s kids out there.

Saved by the Bell: The kids of Saved by the Bell made high school look so fun and made us all wish we went to Bayside High School.

Full House: With a family like this why wouldn’t we be thankful for the big happy family of Full House?  The show was always something to be happy about from the adventures the sisters and Kimmy to Joey’s famous impersonations and little Michelle’s adorable smile.

That 70s Show: A group of friends hanging out, living down the street from one another; everything we wanted growing up.  And we all have those friends that are exactly like Kelso or Fez.

The Parent Trap: In her younger years, Lindsay Lohan made me want to either have a a twin sister that I found at sleep away camp and take down an evil step-mother together.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air: We definitely have to be thankful for the Fresh Prince.  Will Smith and all the trouble he gets into throughout the series.

Music

Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani: Because without this song would you even know how to spell bananas?

Hit Me Baby by Britney Spears: Britney Spears gave girls across the nation a classic costume for Halloween for years to come.

Sunday Morning by Maroon 5: The ultimate lazy day song.

One Time by Justin Bieber: You might love Bieber’s new hits versus his old ones but One Time melted the hearts of tween girls all around the world.

Get Low by Lil Jon: This throwback is one you need on your party playlist because without it there is no party.

It Wasn’t Me by Shaggy: Although there’s that one part of the song that no one knows and everyone just mumbles, the song is very catchy and gets stuck in your head for hours.

Bootylicious by Destiny’s Child: This is the song you play in your head when you strut into a room and you know you look good.

Bye Bye Bye by NSync: Bye Bye Bye made the female population fall in love with boy bands.

Beautiful Soul by Jesse McCartney: Every lyric sung by Jesse McCartney gives all girls hope that there are still good guys out there.

Wannabe by Spice Girls: Describes every thought that goes through a girls head when she starts talking to a boy.

My name is Verlencia Somuah. I am a sophomore Political Science major at the University of Connecticut. I plan to go to law school in the future and hopefully someday end up with some type of position in the White House (Yes I dream big!). This is probably not a surprise for someone who wants to work in politics but, I aspire to be Olivia Pope from Scandal (I want to be a gladiator in a suit!). One big thing I am very passionate about is volunteer work. I'm am a member of the organization Big Brothers Big Sisters on my campus and over the past summer, I went down to the Dominican Republic to work with kids and help out building a school. This experience was so life changing and I can't wait to go back next year. What I love about Her Campus is the sense of community and how you are able to have an opinion, share it with everyone, and see that you aren't the only one to have that opinion.