This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Formal: the party of the semester. It’s your opportunity to get dolled up, party off campus, and get some quality Instagrams (that you will later crop down into a LinkedIn profile picture). Yes, we all know good times are to be had but the preparation period is, well, kinda the worst.

1.   The Dress: you search high and low for the perfect one.

Is it even safe to order from Tobi anymore or are we all just going to have the same exact dress?

2. You spend HOURS looking at every website and sharing links with all of your BFFs because their approval matters!

3.   The dress finally arrives on your doorstep and the ANXIETY kicks in. IS IT GOING TO FIT?

Online shopping is always a gamble.

4.   LOL. OF COURSE IT DOESN’T FIT.

Did you really think finding a dress was going to be that easy?

5.   Mall trip! Mission: find a dress (take two).

Cue being overwhelmed in Forever 21 and repeatedly trying to convince yourself that it’s okay to try on dresses over your leggings.

6. For the single ladies, finding a date is THE WORST.

Valentine’s Day is a cake walk in comparison to Formal Season.

7. Whatever, just bring someone you’ve never met.

Hey, randos, hey!

8. It’s time to get your tan on, and because it’s Formal Season, Tommy’s is bumpin’.

A 35 minute wait for a spray tan? Sure…

9. Post spray tan: Am I orange???!?

*takes 10 Snapchat selfies to survey friends* *questions life purpose*

10. Day of Formal: You wake up ready to party!

11. Getting ready with your friends is half the fun…especially when you’re pregaming.

12. Curl your hair. Wing your eyeliner. Contour those cheekbones.

But really, it’s just a boozy glam session. Have you ever tried to put on fake lashes after a glass or two? Struggle city.

13. Taking pictures always lasts longer than desirable.

*places hand on chest of date who you’ve never met before.*

14. Dinner time: college students + a few drinks + a catered meal = pretty savage, TBH.

15. Dancing at formal is basically a wedding reception with all of your college friends.

16. The turn up. Have a blast. Yay, Formal!

17. Post formal, or in other words, the hangover.

Oh well, you were probably just going to lie in bed and scroll Instagram all day anyway.

Happy Formal Season, collegiettes!

Cover Image Source

Mary is a senior studying Communication and Entrepreneurship. She is an avid instagrammer, a sucker for anything on Bravo, and is passionate about the beauty industry.  When she is not busy with Phi Sigma Pi, Autism Speaks U, and Her Campus, she can be found writing for her personal beauty blog. Follow her on instagram @marysecondo.