14 Underrated Rom-Coms for this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

1. What Happens In Vegas

Because if you have the chance to see a moderately shirtless Ashton Kutcher, you should take it.

2.  A Little Bit of Heaven

Mm…champagne. Our favorite blonde has the right idea in this heartwarming-tearjerker.

3.  I Love You, Beth Cooper

For the more comedy-oriented movie viewer, and for anyone who likes to root for the underdog. Also: Hayden Panettiere. ‘Nuff said.

4.  Barefoot

This exclusive Netflix pick is sure to make even the most bitter Valentine’s Day girls swoon; a definite addition to your “Must Watch List,” ASAP.

5. Definitely, Maybe

Ryan Reynolds pre-DILF and cutie Abigail Breslin star in this “guess-who” romantic comedy that would go perfectly with some sweet Valentine’s Day chocolates. Who cares if you bought them yourself?

6. Warm Bodies

Anyone who appreciates a good zombie love story now and again will certainly love this post-apocalyptic rom-com starring “that dude from ‘Skins’” and yet another too-pretty-to-be-real blonde. (Anyone noticing a pattern here?)

7. The Wedding Date

The lovable Debra Messing, before she was a television cop. Your classic romantic comedy, with helpful tips if your significant other is lacking in the “suave” department..

8. America’s Sweethearts

Throwback to the very early 2000s, where a very well-casted movie for which the audience is secretly (but not secretly) rooting for two beautiful people to end up together was born. #Nospoilers because let’s face it: pretty much everyone in this movie is beautiful.

9. Just Friends

Hey look! Another Ryan Reynolds movie, not that anyone is complaining. This movie follows the spiral of being “friend-zoned,” and what a good workout regimen and a haircut can do for some people…wow.

10. 17 Again

Two words: Zac Efron. Why spend time getting ready or money going out when you can curl up and let a dad-turned-Zac cheer you up with fatherly advice and half-smiles, free of charge?

11. Love and Other Drugs

This romantic comedy really strikes every emotion you’ve got, so grab your boys Ben and Jerry and get ready for a shirtless Jake Gyllenhaal, a highly-emotional Anne Hathaway, and a love story that gets you every time.

12. Music and Lyrics

A “plant-lady” and a washed up 80s music superstar: who would’ve thought they’d make such a good team? I don’t know about you, but there’s something about Hugh Grant and his British accent that makes this movie irresistible.

13. He’s Just Not That Into You

A movie for the Vday realists, but not a total heartbreaker. Relatable in every way, this movie shows the ups and downs of all kinds of relationships, and has a killer cast full of hot people. Definitely one of the most underrated rom-coms of the century.

14. Fever Pitch 

“Jimmy Fallon was an actor?” Yeah, a pretty adorable one at that! Watch him and Drew Barrymore do that cute couple thing while also dealing with Fallon’s character’s Red Sox obsession. (Bonus: Johnny Damon )