This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Have you ever wondered where those Instagram posts of Harry Styles all around UConn’s campus have come from? I sat down with the University of Connecticut Harries president Jeanmarie to get the inside scoop on where the UConn Harries Instagram page came from, how the page has now turned into a club, and so much more!

The interview

Sagal: So, how did it all begin?

Jeanmarie: Well, the Instagram page was first created in 2021 after our founder, Rowan, who was a junior at the time, attended a Harry Styles concert. He really felt a sense of community there and wanted to bring that to UConn. UConn Harries started as a space for people with similar interests to come together, and this is also why we wanted to turn it into a club later on.

Sagal: How did the posts of Harry all around campus begin?

Jeanmarie: Rowan saw students from different schools placing Harry all over their campuses and thought that would be a fun thing to bring to UConn.

Sagal: Did people know that Rowan was the behind the account?

Jeanmarie: No, Rowan’s identity, and mine later on, was a secret the whole time he ran the account. It was only until I got involved and turned UConn Harries into a club that his identity was revealed. He would actually make posts at different club events like Club Swift, saying that no one here knows I run UConn Harries.

Sagal: Wow! So secretive! In regards to your involvement with the account, when and how did that begin?

Jeanmarie: I first got involved with the account, and Rowan, when he made a post at the beginning of the fall semester saying he needed an intern, and I was actually referred to as “the intern.”

Sagal: So what caused you to decide to turn the Instagram page into a club?

Jeanmarie: Turning UConn Harries into a club is something that Rowan always wanted to do, but it was the release of the movie My Policeman, in which Harry stars, that really kicked things off. We wanted to hold a screening, which caused us to create the club and reveal our identities. Also, we noticed many people on campus wearing Harry’s merch, so we figured that this could be a club people were interested in joining.

Also, we wanted to create a safe space so that people who enjoyed Harry’s music and are fans of him can come together. When we were younger, this isn’t a space that really existed. Many of us were ridiculed for people fans of people like Harry or Taylor Swift. But now we can have clubs that center around these people and being around others who enjoy them

Sagal: Wow thats really powerful. How can people be apart of this?

Jeanmarie: Well, the core of our club is the Instagram page, so if you’re following us, then you’re already a member. We’re trying to throw one large event a semester like our My Policeman screening or our recent Grammy watch party, so attending those events also means you’re a part of the club. Our club is just really laid back, so if you like Harry and are a fan, you’re already a member.

Sagal: How has your experience as president been so far?

Jeanmarie: It been good! Running the club has been an enjoyable experience so far, making the E-board was a bit stressful, but other than that its been fun!

Sagal: What does the future of the club look like to you?

Jeanmarie: I would still like to be president. In the next couple of years, I still want us to hold different events and have a larger presence on campus overall. And potentially collab with other clubs like Club Swift, that’s my dream!

Sagal: Well, it was great talking to you and I wish you and UConn Harries all the best!

Jeanmarie: You too, thanks!

You can find @UConnHarries on Instagram. You can also find their Linktree in their bio, where you can join their mailing list and even say where you want to find Harry on campus next!

Sagal M

U Conn '25

Sagal is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut. She's studying Political Science. She's hopes to become a lawyer focusing on civil rights law. Her favorite hobbies are watching rom-coms and reading books.