photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

10 Ways to Practice Self Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This time of the year can be stressful for everyone.  Exams are around the corner, people are trying to get “beach body” ready, and some are graduating and trying to find jobs.  Whether it’s in times of stress like this or not, practicing self-love is super important.  It can help you keep your head up and feel confident about the beautiful person you see in the mirror everyday.  Here are 10 of our favorite ways to practice some self-love:

1.  Put post it notes around your mirror with compliments or inspiring quotes written on them. Sometimes it’s the little things that make us feel good. This way, as you are getting ready in the mirror, it’s a good reminder of what you love about yourself and a great way to feel good before walking out the door in the morning.

2.  Practice meditation. Try to let go of the anxieties we all have as women and the pressure to look a certain way. Clear your mind and relieve yourself of the stressors you come across each day. Many times we overlook the power of meditation and how much it can really help us mentally. Find your happy place and focus on your breathing and letting go of superficial concerns.

3.  Working out is proven to be beneficial to one’s self-esteem and happiness. Find what works for you whether it’s hiking, dancing, spinning, running, or any activity you love to do that will get your heart rate up. Sometimes the best therapy is to blast music and sweat it out. When you’re active, you tend to feel better about yourself because of the good endorphins that exercise releases. In your daily routine, don’t forget to make time for exercise because it can really help!

4.  Don’t let anyone define you. It can be easy to get caught up in what other people are doing and saying to you, however, do not let anyone devalue your worth. Believe in your dreams and ambitions and forget about all the negativity. At the end of the day, these goals and dreams are what make you happy and feel good about yourself because this is what you work hard for.

5.  Take selfies. When you feel good, take a selfie! And no, I mean a real selfie- without the editing and filters. It is much more than just a picture; it shows that you love yourself just the way you are. Whether it is privately saved on your phone or uploaded to Instagram, sometimes it’s a nice reminder when you look back on pictures to see how good you felt.

6.  Go out with your friends. Making time for friends is important because these are the people we go to for everything. Your best friends know you inside and out and accept and love you for who you are. If you surround yourself with positivity, you will feel happier about yourself. Also, don’t forget to take study breaks. Schoolwork is important, but so is the time you spend with you and your friends because this is what keeps us going at the end of the day.

7.  Make time for yourself. Yes, friends are important, however if you put aside time for yourself at least once a week, it can be really beneficial. Find a quiet space that you can go to on campus that is just for yourself. Or maybe just Netflix and chill in bed with your favorite snack. Sometimes it’s okay to be alone, to simply shut off your phone, and focus on what makes YOU happy.

8.  Don’t compare yourself to others. With the media constantly flashing models and magazines in front of our eyes, it can be easy to compare yourself to others. Remember that most, if not all, of the images we see in the media today are distorted in some way with Photoshop and are unnatural. I can assure you that your favorite model does not wake up looking as she does on the cover of the magazine each morning. With that said, embrace your uniqueness. Remember not to allow the media to define what beauty is because there is nothing more beautiful than your own happiness.    

9.  It’s okay to laugh at your self, don’t take life too seriously. Yes, we all have flaws and that’s okay! Laugh it off with your friends and don’t stress about little quirks that you have because these might be exactly what others love about you.    

10. Eat as much of your favorite junk foods as you want. However, don’t forget to balance it out with fruits and veggies because they provide heaps of nutrients that will in turn make you feel good. They say, “You are what you eat,” so fill your body with food that is nutrient-rich, and your body will love you back! 

Cover Image Credit