This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With classes ending, summer is just around the corner! Whether you are staying home or traveling, there are some items that will definitely come in handy for your summer excursions. If you are as excited as me to be soaking up the summer rays, then keep reading for my 2023 summer must-haves.

moisturizing sunscreen

As a skincare girlie, I cannot stress enough how important it is to incorporate SPF into your daily routine. If you do not already have moisturizing sunscreen, summer is the time to add it to your shopping list. I personally am a fan of CeraVe, so I recommended using either lotion or moisturizer with either sunscreen or SPF.  Wearing SPF that is at least 15 regularly can reduce your risk of developing squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) by about 40 percent, and lower your melanoma risk by 50 percent. Wearing sunscreen can also help prevent other imperfections such as wrinkles and age spots.

heliophilia (n.) desire to stay in the sun; love of sunlight

Summer Perfume

Making every day feel like summer calls for a perfume that reminds you of laying out on the beach. Sol de Janeiro is a Brazilian perfume that has been trending due to its scent which is an instant reminder of summertime. Sol de Janiero translates to Sun of January, which may be winter for those in North America. However, for Brazil, January is the peak summer temperature. The website describes the perfume to have notes of pistachio, salted caramel, and vanilla. Personally, I am a big fan of this perfume and think it is perfect for the summer season.

ankles/bracelets

Whether they are string or chain, anklets, and bracelets are the perfect summer jewelry. Because of the warm weather, people hardly wear long sleeves or long pants. Nothing reminds me of summer more than a stack of friendship bracelets that most likely took all summer to make. Pura Vida is a brand that has summer vibes and cute jewelry that is wearable anywhere you go this summer whether it be on the beach or while traveling. Pura Vida is a company based in Costa Rica and each purchase helps artisans around the world.

Matching Sets

If you’re an avid gym goer, I am sure you have seen girls in matching sets. I think matching sets are such a great way to look cute while working out or just to be comfortable. For those casual days, matching sets can also be an outfit. Especially as college students, our generation tends to wear a lot of athleisure clothes. So whether you are heading to the gym or grabbing a coffee, matching sets are a cute outfit idea this summer. Any store that sells athletic clothing such as Lululemon or Gymshark will most likely sell matching sports bras and shorts.

Headscarfs

If your style falls under indie/hippie, then head scarves are a staple to any outfit. When styled correctly. They are an easy way to make any outfit look more put together. Headscarves have great functionality as well. During the summer months, it is nice to have your hair pushed out of your face. Scarves are an easy find whether it be in-store or while thrifting. A small silk scarf might be something you already own and have no idea how to style, but now you can incorporate it into your summer outfits.

Sun bum products

Next up is Sun Bum products. The packaging of the brand screams summer and their products are my personal go-to. I have used their shampoo, conditioner, hair mask, heat protector, hair oil, and so much more. Whenever I wear anything by Sun Bum, I always get complimented that it smells good. Their products all have similar summer hints to them which is great for the upcoming summer months. Sun Bum is also a great alternative to other brands because its products are free of harmful chemicals such as sulfates and parabens. Sun Bum’s sunscreen products are also reef friendly. In January 2021, Hawaii passed Hawaii Act 104 Reef Compliant Act which says that sunscreen must not contain Oxybenzone and Octinoxate because it is damaging to the coral reefs. Sun Bum takes pride in following this regulation. If you are heading somewhere tropical this summer, it is important to be mindful of using products that are safe for the environment.

Cute bathing suits

If you are going to be at the beach or pool this summer, bathing suits are certainly a must-have. I always like to get a new set each summer (this might be excessive). I find so many different brands through social media such as Instagram and TikTok. A lot of bathing suits can be pricey. However, if the quality is good and you know that it will be your go-to, it could be worth the price. Some bathing suit companies that I have heard good reviews about include Blackbough Swim, Frankies Bikinis, and Kulani Kinis. If you rather try on your bathing suit before you buy, I also like bathing suits from Hollister, Garage, and Aerie which are pretty common at most malls.

Disposable camera

I do not know anyone who doesn’t appreciate a good film picture. A disposable camera is a summer essential especially for traveling and capturing moments with your friends. I absolutely love the look that film pictures have. If you have ever had a disposable camera you know how thrilling it is to see the pictures because after a while you forget what pictures you took. You can develop these pictures at your local CVS or Walgreens. There are also apps or ways to edit your photos to have this effect, however, there is something special about having something tangible like a camera to bring with you on your adventures this summer.

Oil blotting sheets

With the summer rays, your skin is bound to get oily quickly, especially if you have oily-prone skin. Oil blotting sheets are small papers that you pat on your face to remove excess oil. I find oil blotting extremely helpful because it can fit in your bag and it’s a quick and efficient way to remove the look of oily skin. You can find this product at your local drugstore, beauty store, or Target. 

White sneakers

White is a perfect summer color and is neutral to match any outfit. White sneakers have also been trending and for good reason. Whether it be running shoes or tennis shoes, I see a lot of people wearing white sneakers. Some white sneakers that I think are perfect for this summer are Reebok Clubs C’s, Hokas, and the class high-top Converse. There are more brands that have cool sneakers but these particular brands I have heard good reviews about. Other shoe brands that are worth looking into are of course Nike and New Balance shoes. Having comfortable and stylish shoes is always a win.

There are endless amounts of products I could add to this list, but these 10 I found most relevant for any type of summer. I hope you have an amazing summer and found a must-have that you’ll add to your shopping list.

Emily is the Facebook Chair of Her Campus UConn. Emily is a junior at the University of Connecticut, majoring in Communication. She enjoys writing for entertainment about fashion and lifestyle. Additionally, she loves to give advice on topics such as career and self-love. Emily has had multiple internships related to marketing and social media. She has interned for a vegan pizza company, a NYC fashion show, and her latest internship at LKPR where she dove into public relations related to toy companies. When Emily is not writing articles she might be listening to the Lumineers, grabbing a pumpkin cream cold brew, or thrifting.