Yolk: A Breakfast Food Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

If you’re ever craving delicious omelets, pancakes, or crepes, be sure to check out Yolk, the premier breakfast place in Chicago! Located in the South Loop (just a short 20 minute Metra ride from campus), Yolk offers a broad range of breakfast delights with a myriad of dishes.

If you’re going to Yolk on the weekend, try to get there early since the line of tourists and Chicago natives grows rapidly later in the day. Yolk doesn’t take reservations, but the wait is definitely worth it. You’ll be met with an overwhelming menu of several mouth-watering choices with plenty of options for everyone.

Their specialty pancakes are fantastic, specifically the Chocolate-Strawberry and Potato Cakes. Channel your inner farm-girl with The Farm House (biscuits with gravy and eggs), show off your muscles with Iron Man (omelet with vegetables and salsa), enjoy California sunshine with some West Coast Crepes, or go gourmet with the Goat Cheese & Chicken Spinach Salad. If you’re looking for something on the healthier side, Yolk’s yogurt and fruit mixes are ideal.

While the prices on the menu seem expensive at first, the portions are huge, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. I ordered the Chocolate-Strawberry Cakes and absolutely loved them for about 20 minutes, but the chocolate goodness eventually became too sweet to handle. I’d recommend sharing dishes and not ordering too many sweet dishes since the portion sizes can get to you. You’ll definitely leave with leftovers to enjoy later. 

Yolk is the perfect place to enjoy a morning with friends or family, and its convenient location in the South Loop makes it easily accessible from campus and a great start to a day in downtown if you desire. It’s definitely a place every UChicago student should visit at some point, so if you can hear the Banana Crepes, Belgian Waffles, and Red Velvet French Toast calling, Yolk is the place for you!

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!