The World in 2013: TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Shows that we’re happy about: The British and the comedies

2013 seems to hold all the answers – from how Sherlock faked his death to how Ted met his kids’ mother.

This year will bring back the much-awaited BBC adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle’s famous character, Sherlock Holmes. Fans were left mystified over how Sherlock could possibly have faked his death and 2013 will reveal how he made the seemingly impossible possible. The creators have released three clue words (rat, wedding, bow) about the upcoming series to keep us all guessing, so if you fancy yourself something of a detective then see if you can predict the answer to this puzzle.

The other British show that has viewers captivated is Doctor Who. Everyone is looking forward to seeing what the newly introduced Doctor’s companion will bring to the show.

The best US comedies will also be returning to our screens in 2013. How I Met Your Mother has been renewed for the ninth and final season, so viewers can look forward to what promises to be a hilarious culmination to the long-running show.

Girls is also set to return with Season Two premiering this January. The original and refreshing humour of this show will be sure to help us through the cold winter months. As will the laugh out loud funny, Modern Family, which went from strength to strength in 2012 and will continue to cheer us through 2013.

Could go either way: Downton Abbey, Arrested Development, The Following

Downton Abbey will return to the US in January with season 3, whilst a fourth season has already been commissioned. However, with many of the characters not returning for season 4 will it retain the magic that has kept viewers entranced up until now?

Arrested Development is also returning after what will be a seven-year break. Netflix have announced that they will release a number of new episodes of the critically acclaimed show this year. However, after Fox cancelled it in 2006 due to low ratings will it now be recognised as what some consider to be the funniest show of all time, or will it be largely ignored as before?

The Following is an upcoming crime thriller that will premiere this January. Created by Kevin Williamson (the ‘Scream’ franchise, ‘The Vampire Diaries’) and starring Kevin Bacon, the show is centered on a former FBI agent (Bacon) who is brought in to help capture a notorious serial killer. This psychological thriller promises to be gory and intense but will it contain the necessary plot and strong characters to keep the audience entertained and coming back for more?

We’re dreading: X Factor

The X Factor is returning to our screens in both the UK and the US this coming year. As much as we may love to wonder whether some of the people really believe they have talent and who the ‘celebrity’ judges will be, this show has fast become tired and unoriginal. The over-commercialized aspect has been heavily criticized and some have even concluded that the show is just a moneymaking scheme for Simon Cowell that is in fact damaging to the music industry. The falling ratings show that most of us would be happy if the X Factor no longer made an appearance on our screens. 

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!