University Hosts Gun Violence Panel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

On the 15th of January, the University of Chicago Institute of Politics held a panel to discuss the complex issues surrounding gun violence in the US. Former NBC journalist Tom Brokaw moderated the debate between the panelists, who included Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel, former Republican Congressman Steve Latourette, Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Chapman and University of Chicago Crime Lab Director Jens Ludwig. Hosted in the Logan Center, this debate gave students a chance to become engaged in the ongoing discussion on gun policy, and to see a range of views expressed by the experts. 

David Axelrod, Institute Director opened the debate with reference to the recent Sandy Hook shooting, stating, “The horrific tragedy at Newton has rekindled the national debate on guns that has been going on for half a century”. Brokaw then went on to lead the panelists in a discussion on proposed policies and what measures need to be taken to address the issue of gun violence.

Emanuel agreed that the recent incident has brought forward a discussion that’s been on the periphery for some time. Latourette also shared the view that this is an issue that needs addressing but only in a certain way. He expressed concerns that in the wake of the recent tragedy Congress would overregulate and the law-abiding gun owners, which constitute the majority, would be penalized for the crimes of the minority. Emanuel quipped back “I am not worried that the United States Congress is going to do too much. The real worry is that we’re going to lose the moment.”

The debate also explored what drives gun violence, with Ludwig citing studies that show violent video games having an adverse affect on real-life violent crimes, which is contrary to popular opinion. He also argued that guns are responsible for the difference between the US homicide rate and that of countries with stricter gun laws such as the UK, stating, “The United States is not an unusually violent country”.

The panelists agreed that measures needed to be taken, but there were a diverse range of suggestions as to what these should be. Chapman called for there to be a focus on stopping illegal gun sales so as not to penalize law-abiding gun owners who use their guns for legitimate purposes such as hunting. Emanuel agreed that the focus must be on criminal access to guns, but also spoke on the importance of closing loopholes in the federal requirement for background checks and stated that the federal government can play a large role in where they place their money to assist law enforcement. Latourette’s argument differed in that the key issue he believes needs to be addressed is mental health. Emanuel added that initiatives such as after-school programmes would make a great difference, as it would keep at-risk children safe. 

The debate also touched upon the differences between rural and urban areas, and the lack of understanding between the two. Chapman argued that inner-city politicians don’t comprehend the rural population’s law-abiding use of guns, for activities such as target shooting.

Despite the disagreement over what would be the more effective policies, it was clear that all agreed upon the fact that something must be done, although it would be difficult. Emanuel stated that President Obama must play a key role in keeping the focus and paving the way forward.

The debate proved to be engaging and informative and students even had the opportunity to present the panelists with questions at the end. What is left now is to see what direction the US heads in and whether the policies implemented will be effective in controlling gun violence. 

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!