UChicago Celebrates Folk Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Walk past Mandel Hall in early February and you’ll hear the lilting melodies of bluegrass, Irish jigs, blues, and Cajun music. For the past 53 years, The University of Chicago’s Folklore Society has put on one of the largest university folk festivals in North America, hosting legends of traditional roots music such as the Blue Grass Boys, Bill Monroe, and Muddy Waters.

The Folk Festival prides itself on both the performers and audience it attracts every year. As William Cramer, third year College student and co-President of the UChicago Folklore society states, “Our bands come every year from New Orleans to the Appalachian mountain range, sometimes even as far as Ireland, after a long selection process by the Folklore Society.” While the audience tends to be an older crowd who travel from all over to our campus to celebrate the music that defines their upbringing and family traditions, Cramer believes everyone can enjoy folk music.

The history and significance of folk music to the audience was undeniable on Friday night, and feelings of reminiscence and nostalgia lingered in the air. The evening opened with a bagpipe set by UChicago’s very own Terry Oldfield, which warmed up the audience to the traditional music that followed. Irish musicians Daithi Sproule and James Kelly then took the audience back to the times of traditional Irish music and played a series of jigs on their fiddle and guitar.

Next, Kirk Sutphin and Betram Levy performed old-time Civil War era music from West Virginia and North Carolina on their fiddle and banjo. Their music was slightly more discordant, fast-paced, and less melodic than the previous performers’, but hit home for many in the audience. Levy also demo-ed his new banjo for the audience members, who responded enthusiastically and encouraged the duo to continue performing.

After this set, Elmore James Jr. and his crew stormed the stage with blues. The energy changed completely with this performance, as electronic guitars and drum sets provided for a very dynamic performance. What stood out about Elmore’s performance was the natural soulfulness of his music and his emphasis on deep lyrics over melody.

Following a short intermission, Brian Miller and Randy Gosa performed music from the Irish lumberjacks of Minnesota and Wisconsin on their mandolin and banjo. Miller and Gosa shared stories of their efforts to uncover the music of the lumberjack tradition, and especially touched the audience by recounting the story of a 103 year-old woman who grew up listening to the songs from her father’s lumber camp. The night concluded with a lively performance by Sheryl Cormier & Family. Sheryl Cormier is one of the first women performers of Louisiana’s Cajun Music, and her family rocked the stage with rich vocals and intricate accordion sets.

The Folk Festival as a whole encompassed several types of music from various areas of the United States, and the history and significance of the music was a testament to the festival’s purpose to revive these traditions. Cramer explains, “All it takes is one concert to fall in love with this music. After all, folk music is also dance music and it’s often hard for audience members to stay in their seats without getting up and dancing.” So come out to next year’s celebration of folk music for a night filled with fun, energy, and long-standing traditions!

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!