This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Tovia Siegel, an outstanding second year from Massachusetts, aspires to make a difference for public high school students. With a strong interest in education and public education reform, Siegel has already started changing the lives of many young students through various organizations.

What organizations do you participate in?

Neighborhood School Program, Peer Health Exchange and UChicago Careers in Public Education.

How did you get involved with the Neighborhood School Program (NSP)?

I got involved in NSP winter quarter of first year because I felt disconnected from the Chicago community and I wanted to change that. At the time, I didn’t have any idea what I wanted to do after college, but I figured that it would be a good opportunity because I like kids and I think that it’s incredibly important for education systems to support students who are struggling. As I continued as a teacher’s aid, I found that I really liked it. The kids are hilarious and it feels really cool to help someone understand a concept.

What is it like working for the Neighborhood Schools Program (NSP)?

I tutor in two fourth grade classrooms at Murray Elementary School (on 53rd and Kenwood). One of the teachers I was helping explained to me that what I was doing could affect the rest of a student’s life. If I help a student pass fourth grade math, he doesn’t have to stay back a grade and that gives him a better chance of graduating from high school. For me, that’s a really cool thought. An added advantage of NSP that I hadn’t anticipated is that I get to learn teaching techniques from the teachers I work with.

Tell me a little bit more about PHE and you’re involvement in the organization.

I just got involved this year when a friend in the organization recommended I apply. Now I am a health educator for the “STI and HIV Prevention” workshop. Fall quarter is focused on training everyone in the organization so that we’re fully prepared to teach health classes in Chicago high schools. Starting in January, I’ll be going into 9th grade classrooms around the city to teach about STI and HIV prevention. I think education has to cover more than purely academic subjects. If a student isn’t properly nourished or is uninformed about sexual health, it’s much harder for him or her to do well in school. I believe the mission of PHE is really important, and I’m sure I’ll have a lot more to say about how it works in practice when I start teaching winter quarter.

What’s it like being a part of UCIEP?

I got really lucky because this is the inaugural year of UCIEP and it is focused on exactly what I’m interested in—teaching and education administration, research, and policy. Since I was accepted to the program, I’ve gotten the chance to be exposed to so many interesting people and ideas. I attended a speech by Arne Duncan, the U.S. secretary of education, in which he shared his thoughts on what needs to change to make the American public education system functional and successful. I’ve also gotten to talk with the students and administration of Noble Street Prep, a successful Chicago charter school. To me, the best part of the program has been meeting and sharing ideas with other students who want to do the same things as I do.

Tovia has already helped many students through these various organizations. She is determined to make a difference for public high school students and give back all the knowledge she has acquired. There are many ways to get involved and follow your dreams, just take a look at any of the things Tovia is doing!

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.