She’s Doing It All: Angela Wang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

A Psychology and Visual Arts double major, Angela Wang is a jack-of-all-trades. You may have seen this second year, who is known for having her own list-host, showing off her moves in RBIM, performing with Le Vorris & Vox (our campus circus), or giving massages with the new RSO, Massage. A large lesson to be learned while attending college is finding the balance between classes, pursuing your interests, and having a social life, and this is something that Angela exemplifies. Her ability to not sacrifice fun or her own happiness for her academics (and still managing to do well in both), while also maintaining a stress-free lifestyle is something to  lust after, especially at UChicago. So what does she have to say for herself? Let’s find out…

Specifically what RSOs or campus projects are you involved in? Are you working on any of your own projects whether it be UChicago related or otherwise?

Massage– I started this club last quarter, and it’s definitely one of my favorites. We do bi-weekly 2-hour workshops, often with a professional (I teach otherwise); weekly practices, and collaborate with many  social events like Dance Marathon, Lascivious Ball, Wellness Fairs and MegaShabbat. I try to have massages for whichever events ask. About half the people who come are graduate students. Next quarter I’ll bring in people to teach more Thai, physical therapy, and lava-shell massage, as I mostly do Swedish-based techniques. I think that wellness is a very important component of student life.

Vita Excolutur– I’m the head designer, so I’m putting together the magazine that is coming out at the beginning of next quarter. I like aesthetics and presentation, but I am also personally interested in ideas of erotic beauty through time, openness about sex, queer identities, prostitution and escorting, etc. I don’t believe that anything should be a taboo subject to discuss.

Wellness– I’m on the health promotion and wellness committee, which brings together a large number of departments across the college. A couple of projects headed or co-headed by me are healthy vending (Ex: Aramark will run a quarter trial of cliff bars, almonds, real fruit rolls, etc. in vending), expansion of the relaxation stations to include more RSOs, massage treatments in more locations, and setting up the logistics and rules for a student-run peer counseling services.

Uncommon Fund– I’m in a couple projects funded by the uncommon fund such as a giant chessboard tournament which will include 4 feet tall chess pieces and competitions featuring both groups and individuals. I also am a part of a 72-hour art festival for all, which will be an immersive arts experience in Logan Arts Center next quarter, as well as the sky lanterns on the Midway where we’ll launch a couple hundred lanterns and raise money for polio.

Does it ever get to be too much? How do you stay motivated throughout the quarter/how do you do it?

This is a question I get often, and there are a good number of things I have to say:

I’m not very attached to my identity and my success and I think that helps a lot in not getting demotivated or stressed. So low turn outs at events or rejection on project ideas, etc., don’t really faze me. I think I can be passionate yet detached from things at the same time, and that seems to result in a very healthy perspective on achievements.

There are moments when so many things have deadlines at the same time– particularly if half of them are school work and the other half are extracurriculars, because I tend to do work that involve more people, i.e. extracurriculars, first, which means my papers are very rushed, though they are still good– that it feels like it might be ‘too much.’ Usually I just accept the fact that I probably wasted too much time on some particular thing, take a deep breath, maybe two, and continue the work/socializing/planning that I was doing. I very rarely feel ‘stressed,’ and even rarer does that stress get to the point of distracting or impeding my progress.

And finally, my usual answer to the most common version of this question– “How do you do it?”
I say: “ A lot of water, perhaps 8 bottles a day– no coffee/caffeine– fruits and vegetables, and healthy living in general.” In addition, a lot of smiling, because that gives you the right hormones, as well as making lists and not being lazy. Keeping busy, because if you keep thinking you have SO much time, not much will get done. Caring, but not worrying about yourself. I’m also a lucid dreamer, so every time I go to bed I live another life for a day or two… and that helps.

What did you think about having your own post on Overheard at UChicago?

Haha. I used my last name for a humorous student government campaign last year, and people liked that. I think Wang-pire is also creative and funny to use. I know that some people thought it was humorous because they’re a friend who knows how excited, busy, but carefree I am, and I know that many others liked it because they think that I’m crazy, and not in the good sense. I can definitely come off as someone who tries too hard. It’s just that I find myself having so much time to think about new things to do, and doing them!

You have made your own listhost as well?

angelawang@lists— I thought this might come up, so yes, I did start a listhost with my name on it. The main point is to send people an at-most-daily email about what events, initiatives, and academic things are going on. It’s a nice short summary of some, not all, events I see on Facebook as well as newsletters, and what new things are happening. I created it because people try to publicize through listhosts for their event but are often rejected.

How do you see campus life evolving by the time you graduate UChicago?

I’m not sure. I’d hope that even though we’ve moved to the Common application, people are still applying here largely because they love our unique essay prompts and our unique culture. The Class of 2014 has definitely become more involved in student life, though I’m not sure if that’s because everyone wants to put on their resume that they’re the head of a club, or because they’re more social and more passionate about the application of things.

I hope that over time, people will still form their own RSOs but also contribute to increase collaboration. On the other hand though, it’s quite likely that we’ll just become more and more political and resume-driven, perhaps the way some people might see a place like Harvard, that is all for appearance. I hope not, but it’s possible.

Where do you get your motivation to be active in so many different elements of campus life?

I think I have a natural ability to think that anything, from things that are risky and adrenaline rising to things that seem tedious and usual, are something worthy of exploration. I believe that UChicago is a fitting place because it is a collection of interesting, diverse people, and I’d love to meet everyone. I’m also really interested in collaboration and open communities, and I’d say that being a little bit of many things is a step in that direction. Finally, the fact that other people are passionate and excited by things keeps me motivated. If people around me don’t have energy or time, I’ll just sustain whatever it is that we’re working on, but if they’re particularly excited about it, it is a even more worthy project.

Friends keep me active as well. People in circus and massage and free hugs particularly remind me that it’s worth it to be involved with so many groups of people. I also don’t hesitate to meet new people, and it turns out  that usually I’m interested in something that they do or run. And then soon, I’m in another RSO. However, I don’t think I’m involved in that many elements of campus life. I’m involved in a large number of related groups. I work at Booth because I have work-study and am interested in decision making; I work with student government because I like being in-the-know, sharing that knowledge, and working to improve life here; other than that, I’m in a variety of groups that all relate to the arts, wellness, and openness. It shows the two things I value most, I’d say– effectiveness and beauty (in the sense that imperfection and complexity is as beautiful as perfect and simplicity).

To see the SG calendar put together by Angela of all the events going on around campus:
sg.uchicago.edu/cal