Saturday Night Out at Niu Japanese Fusion Lounge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

The University of Chicago knows it’s students well as in it knows we can always study more. To prevent the tables of the Mansueto and the late nights (possibly sleep overs) in
Harper from being our only college experiences, the University has devised a few sly tricks to get us away from the library. On Friday and Saturday nights the libraries that have become our second homes close early. The really clever way the college gets us off campus is by closing the dining halls on Saturday. So when it’s Saturday night and you need a good place to go to fill your appetite after a week of studying, here’s a great place.

It’s called Niu Japenese Fusion Lounge and it’s located on Illinois Street, relatively close to the Metra station, next to the movie theater.  After a brief Metra ride and a short walk, I stepped through the revolving doors to a scene of what I’d like to call “Casually Classy”. A chandelier of crystals hung to my left with electric blue light emitting from it. Stepping forward to the hostess stand, three tea light globes hung at various levels. The restaurant was pleasantly busy, not to an extent of annoyance but not so much that it had an awkward why-is-this-restaurant-empty vibe. We waited about fifteen minutes for a table for two. Another set of artistically designed light fixtures suspended over the back dining area. Our particular seat was a little darker than some; however it did not hinder the experience. Another tea light glowed at our table. As in other Japanese restaurants, there are benches against the wall paired with a table and another chair.

Shortly after being seated sleek, simple glasses filled with water and a cucumber were served. Looking at the menu and observing the bar (no illegal drinking going on here) there seemed to be an extensive selection of drinks and also some non-alcoholic cocktails. The cocktails were crafted with care and made with fresh ingredients.

Now, for the food on the menu. There was a selection of hot and cold appetizers, sushi (including specialty rolls, maki, a sashmi/nigra), and also numerous wok selections. The food had Japanese elements with a creative twist. For instance, many of the sushi rolls contained fresh fruit. Then comes pricing. The prices were not extremely cheap nor were they very expensive. I would say the prices were moderate and affordable. For the quality of sushi you are receiving, you are not over paying. For instance, the specialty rolls ranged form twelve to sixteen dollars. The ingredients are high quality and very fresh. There is artistic effort put forth in each dish in the presentation. As for taste, there are high marks here. While we only tried the sushi, it was delectable. Even the dishes had an aesthetic value as they were simple and elegant. The service was polite and accommodating, not overbearing or unpleasant.

As an overview, this restaurant is classy but not so fancy that you have to make it a special occasion. The crowd is mostly young professionals and adults (no obnoxious children were present) and although the restaurant was fairly busy, I didn’t need to raise my voice to have a conversation. The décor is artistic and enjoyable to look at as is the food. The chefs are skilled in presentation and taste. Service is good quality and prices are very reasonable. I would recommend Niu Japanese Fusion lounge for a date, a nice dinner without outrageous prices, or if you just want to class it up for the night without feeling out of place.  

Niu Japanese Fusion Lounge
332 E Illinois St. Chicago, Il 60611
Tel: 312-527-2888                                                                                       

Photo Credits to www.yelp.com

Kali West

U Chicago

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.