Looking for a New Workout? Take Up Martial Arts!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Think martial arts is only for guys? Think again!

This past school year, I took up martial arts and boxing classes at the gym and fell in love. My favorites, boxing, kickboxing, and muay thai, always leave me breathless and drenched in sweat, but feeling powerful. These classes don’t just deliver an ass-kicking workout, but also teach us women how to defend ourselves against attackers, which can be a very useful skill for those of us living in big cities like Chicago.

As a workout, martial arts tones the entire body by actively engaging all muscle groups. In a class, you will practice coordination, increase your flexibility, quicken your reflexes, and trim your waist. These workouts are great stress-relievers because what reduces stress better than punching and kicking things? The coaches instructing these classes are certified in the sport, so there’s a slim chance that you’ll get seriously injured (just don’t let your defense down when fighting!)

In a social aspect, working out as a class allows you to form new relationships because it puts you into tight quarters with people you wouldn’t normally meet. I’ve found that I have built the strongest relationships with people whom share my passions. Passionate people let you in, and expose the real them, which makes it easier to connect. And besides, martial arts is no fun if you don’t have someone to fight.

So next time you’re at the gym, ditch that treadmill and sign up for a martial arts class! It may take some experimenting and adjustment, but I’m positive that you will discover your niche.  

I am a first year undergraduate student at the University of Chicago with a love for fashion, beauty, health, and fitness. I am majoring in Economics and minoring in English and Creative Writing. Go Maroons!
Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!