Life on Wheels: Presenting the Mazda3!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Much of a UChicago student’s life (or at least mine) is pretty geographically limited. Unless you can magically procure copious amounts of free time to accommodate for CTA transit outside of classes, extracurriculars, the occasional good night’s sleep, and most importantly, FOOD time, there isn’t much freedom to go downtown (forget the northside, or beyond city limits). Last week, however, I discovered the beautiful magic of having a CAR! And not just any car, but a powerful little red Mazda3. Not gonna lie..I felt pretty cool. For one whole week, beginning (ideally) minutes after turning in my last final paper of winter quarter (thank God that’s over), I experienced life with wheels.

If you’re anything like me, you’d ask “WHAT’S THAT LIKE!?” Because while many of us know people with cars, occasionally mooch rides to Chinatown, Target, or the airport, we don’t fully know the convenience of having one of our own. True, I didn’t have to worry about car insurance or gas, but if I had the means, this little baby would be mine for good.

I’m used to my beat up 90s Toyota Camry at home, reliable and homely as ever, but it’s got nothing on modern technology.  The rearview mirror tells you what direction you’re driving, the Nav system is a lifesaver, and the side mirrors blink a warning light when someone’s in your blindspot on the highway (accompanied with a pleasant beep when your signal is on). The driver’s door won’t lock with the keys inside, and if your keys are somewhere on you, you can press a button on the door to unlock so your hands don’t freeze digging through your bag in Chicago winter weather.  And then there are the seat warmers…favorite feature, hands down.  She handles beautifully and is small enough to park just about anywhere but big enough to sit comfortably. Note: I don’t usually give cars pronouns, but there’s something about the possessive which makes me unusually affectionate.

Walgreens and McDonalds being open 24 hours actually meant something to me. And suddenly Chinatown felt like my backyard. So why not try somewhere farther? On Sunday afternoon, I headed south to a beautiful B&B in Indiana with my boyfriend before he left for study abroad. Without a car? We would have enjoyed another weekend in the UChicago bubble…not exactly preferable right after finals. The open road is a beautiful place when you’re heading away from Chicago at the end of a quarter. Though it’s just as inviting coming back when you’ve been away too long!

I had to leave her at the airport when I flew home on Wednesday, and coming back without a car will surely be an adjustment. I was quite comfortable in Hyde Park with a car. And yes, it’s true, I drove from 54th and University to Reynolds Club once or twice. But hey, wouldn’t you if you could? I drove friends to the airport, Union Station, or just to Treasure Island, and though giving people rides might get old eventually, the HD radio and seat warmers made me happy for road time. Another fond college memory: my week with a Mazda3. Oh, the things that can make a UChicago student happy.

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!