Kuvia Polar Bear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

As Kuvia wound down, I was given the chance to sit down with the Kuvia Polar Bear.  He gave me insights on being a bear, maintaining territory, and having fun while frozen, prior to going back for the rest of a wintry hibernation.  Read on to find out who the man/woman behind the bear is.

Ariana Melendez: So, bears usually hibernate in the winter, what are you still doing awake?
Kuvia Polar Bear: I was planning on hibernating, but I wanted that long sleeved t-shirt to stay warm. Also, I needed to stalk up on bagels and capri-suns for the long winter ahead.

AM: That’s fair, but why Kuvia?  Tell us about what you do.
KPB: Well, it’s very rare to see so many individuals up early in the morning walking to the point and crossing campus at 5:45 AM.  Those kinds of individuals make for great company, and they are always excited to see me!

AM: I heard you got into a mini-brawl with another polar bear last week; can you tell us more?
KPB: That other polar bear was encroaching on my territory so I had to take its head off. I was simply leading the POLAR BEAR RUN as always and this other polar bear comes out of nowhere. I do not remember this being a two bear attraction. Something had to be done and I doubt any student would take on a polar bear. I did it out of defense for the students.

AM: Fair enough.  If there are no bears on campus, who do you hang out with?  Are you and the Phoenix friends, as in, get together and hang out on the weekend friends?
KPB: We hang out when we can, but it is an interesting relationship. I prefer ice. The Phoenix prefers fire. Some say we are polar opposites, but it works. I bring the crazy to Kuvia and it brings the passion.

AM: What’s your favorite thing about being a bear?
KPB: There are not that many of us in the Chicago area so when I show up in a crowded area, people tend to freak out. It is quite entertaining.

And now for the big reveal…

AM: Now, can you tell us who this year’s bear was?
KBP: JK Vervilles, Class of 2014, Chemistry & Biochemistry Major.

AM: Chemistry? Must be tough being a bear too! How did you get the job?
KPB/JKV: Each year a member of the COUP board volunteers or is chosen to be the Polar Bear. I figured this was a rare opportunity to lead a hoard of naked individuals through the campus. Not many people can say that.

AM: Tell us about the best part?  I know I begged to have my picture taken a few times; does stuff like that drive you crazy?
KPB/JKV: The best part of being the polar bear is entertaining the other students. Whenever anyone sees the polar bear walking across the quad, they may have no idea why it is there, but they either smile to his or her self or ask to take a photo with it.

Kuviasungnerk/Kangeiko is the University of Chicago’s yearly winter festival.  Students and faculty wake up get together at 6:00am for a week at Henry Crown to exercise and bond.  On the last day, participants walk to the Point to do the ever-important sun salutations – the reason why the sun comes up in the middle of a frosty Chicago winter.  In the end, participants get a free shirt (this years was a long-sleeved brown version), and have had free breakfast for the past week.  Yes, free breakfast!

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.