But is it Practical: What to Wear Underneath Your Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Skirts and dresses are becoming a clothing staple of late. Tight and fitted pieces let you show off your curves; you are woman! Light and sheer models express your feminity. Long and flowing styles show your creative, whimsical side. But actually… are any of these practical?

I’m talking about underwear lines. Yeah, we’re tackling underwear, panties, unmentionables, pants if your British. Visible panty line isn’t one of those old fashioned rules that no one really follows like no white after Labor Day or when your mom insists you wear hose to Winter Formal (“I’m only going to be outside when I walk from the car to the dance mom!”) Honestly, no one wants underwear lines. Unfortunately, all of the creative new cuts and unique fabrics on the top of trends can be a girl’s biggest undergarment challenge. But these styles are not going away. Not to panic, there is a no-show way to wear these flirty cuts. 

The Tight and Fitted: 

With most dresses cut at the knee or above, thongs are not a smart option. Especially in Chicago where the wind is not just coming from politicians, believe me. Due to the fitted nature though of a tight dress, a thong will work for this cut. Another option is a cheeky cut boy-short. As a sidenote, this can come off as a touch trashy if the skirt is too short. Keep in mind this style of dress may move up as you walk. 

The Light and Sheer:

Since this skirt is not fitted (usually), the underwear situtation can be a little trickier. Here, I would do a cheeky boy-short. The cheeky cut hits your curves in just the right places so that the way the skirt lays, lines won’t show up! There is a difference between the cheeky cut and normal boy-shorts. I would specifically recommend lacey underwear for this since they tend to also be sheer and will stick slow to your skin. 

The Long and Flowing:

As length is not an issue, a thong could work once again. But so would a good cheeky-cut! The lace is, again, a good option. But there is a new trend emerging (yes, underwear has trends too) of ultra-smooth and soft spandex underwear which would work great with a lengthy skirt or dress. 

Give Them the Slip:

However, if you really can’t find a pair that works, you can wear a slip! It is a little old fashioned but a useful garment to have on hand! Check Macy’s, JC Penny’s, American Apparel, or any specialty undergarment store. Also, Spanx also makes great slips. 

Find It Here!

So, where can one find these excellent undergarments? Victoria’s Secret is always an option but you can find great deals at Forever 21 and H&M. Also, Urban Outfitters, which can be a little pricey, has amazing sales every once in a while. Aerie has a great selection of lacey-cheeky cut underwear and don’t rule out Target which is clutch for saving money and has very cute options!

Overall, unless the length is a potential hazard, any of these fits can be worn interchangeably. This can be applied to yoga pants, leggings, jeggings, leather pants, and that pair of hot pants we all own. Basically, tight is here to stay but underwear lines will never be in. No worries. We’re women and we’ve found a way to defy the physics of clothing. 

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.