HOME: The House as a Gallery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Last Saturday, the Hyde Park community was treated to a night of art and creativity and home comfort. Walking in, the house was humming with activity; laughter and conversation, quiet musings and wine sipping created a relaxing atmosphere for all. Food and wine in the kitchen, a fort in the basement, children with Walky-Talkys, it was a family affair that was open for the whole community. An art gallery that feels like home?  That’s what Laura Shaeffer, the Southside Hub of Production’s artistic director, strove for when she opened up her house to community with art from local artists.

The Southside Hub of Production, launched in October 2010, is a collection of artists, writers, film makers, crafters, educators, and local civic organizations who work together as a community to create a cultural hub. SHoP is about local culture and engaging the community through live performances, poetry readings, galleries, pot lucks, and more. Right now, ShoP is working through the steps to become a non-profit in order to better continue the work and events they hold for the community.

The gallery that was held on Saturday is part of the HOME exhibition, which took off in 2007. HOME uses the private space as a public one, exploring how art is used in everyday life and how to use what is around us to live more imaginatively.

As you can see, art takes on many forms in our day to day lives. Laura worked to create an atmosphere of “generosity, welcoming and order, a kind of inspiration for peace of home”. The event was a success with many attendees ranging from community members, the artists themselves and students. Among many of the artworks in the house, artists Chris Lin and Kayce Bayer created hideouts out of cardboard. Alberto Aguilar made hand painted signs for the windows of the house with bold colors and playful shapes. Finally, creative writing professor Paul Durica submitted a project reflecting on urban renewal and planned community that is a part of the Hyde Park community. 

The next event will be in April and feature a collection of readings and performances about Urban Renewal in Hyde Park during the late 40’s to the 60’s with Paul Durica. Keep up with coming events and galleries by checking out the SHoP and HOME website. If you are interested in getting involved feel free to contact Laura Shaeffer at laura.shaeffer@gmail.com

Kali West

U Chicago

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!