This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Glass-floor balconies, floor-to-ceiling windows, twinkling city lights…

What else could we be talking about but Fall Formal on the 99th floor of the Willis Tower?

Each year, the Council on University Programming (COUP) hosts this dance-cum-cocktail party for the university community at glamorous venues across the city. Last year’s Formal took place at Crystal Gardens and the year before, the Adler Planetarium. 

This year’s event, which took place Friday, November 2, was a casino-themed night and featured DJ Steve, free drinks for those of age, and an impressive menu boasting classy bites like key lime tartlets, smoked salmon crostini, and artichoke hearts au gratin. The highlight of the event, however, was the breathtaking panoramic view of the Chicago nightscape from the 99th floor of the Willis Tower—the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

Unsurprisingly, tickets sold out on the morning of the second day, crushing more than one student’s dream of a fairytale evening.  

Even more unsurprisingly, students with dreams of a more economic nature jumped on this opportunity for profit.

Originally $20 for a single ticket and $35 for a pair, tickets were being resold at markedly raised prices to the chagrin of those looking to buy. Last seen on Marketplace: $250 for one and $400 for two. It’s a phenomenon that occurs every year. The venue can only host a limited number of guests, and that number falls significantly short of the student demand, leading to an absurd, almost comical black market-esque frenzy that tickles some students’ economic fancy and rankles others’ nerves.

The lesson of the day? Get in line early next year so you can enjoy this classy-on-the-cheap event. The fairytale’s only a step away. 

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.