Dress Like a Celebrity for a Fraction of the Price

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Browsing the pages of Vogue, you see dozens of glamorous gowns and slips, only to be left disappointed with their prices. The fabulous flocks adorned by celebrities can cost up to six digits, which no college student can afford. Thankfully for you, all hope is not lost. You too can sport a luxurious designer dress, and for only a fraction of its price, made possible by Rent the Runway.

Rent the Runway, a New York-based apparel website, provides women with the opportunity to rent dresses from over 170 designers for less than a quarter of their retail price. A dress normally priced at $480 can be rented for $30. Another priced at $19,690 goes for $500. How does this amazing program work, you ask? You start out by browsing their online inventory of dresses, and narrow down your options according to designer, dress length, price, and style. Once you find a dress you like, you can choose to rent it for a 4- or 8-day time period. Next, specify your size and delivery date (it is recommended that you book your order 1-2 days in advance of your event to ensure on-time delivery), and enter your payment information. Your dress will be shortly on its way, ready to wear for your event. When you’re finished with your dress, just send it back in the provided prepaid envelope (you don’t even have to wash it!), and you’re done. Renting a dress is a very smooth and easy process.

Worried about ordering the incorrect size? No problem! Each dress order comes with a free second size option to ensure that your dress fits you perfectly. If both of the dresses do not fit, Rent the Runway will overnight ship another size to you in time for your event. You will not be left disappointed with your rental.

With prices like these, you have no excuse not to look fabulous at your next event! Be the belle of the ball in Hervé Léger or Vera Wang. Your secret is safe with us!

I am a first year undergraduate student at the University of Chicago with a love for fashion, beauty, health, and fitness. I am majoring in Economics and minoring in English and Creative Writing. Go Maroons!
Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.