Dispelling the UChicago Myth: “Where Fun Comes to Die”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

We’ve all heard it before: UChicago is where fun comes to die. No one is happy here. No one smiles or looks each other in the eye. All vestiges of warmth—metaphorical and otherwise—disappear with the advent of the dreaded sunless, heartless, endless winter. 

Well, folks, I don’t know what to tell you, except IT’S NOT TRUE.

(The motto, that is. The winters really are sunless, heartless, and endless.)

The belief that we are a bunch of reclusive, socially awkward nerds incapable of having fun has been so deeply embedded into our school identity that more than one prospective student has been scared away.

This, my friends, is nothing short of a tragedy. 

I came to UChicago anxious about the rumored academic-intensive atmosphere myself, only to find that yes, the work is hard, but it is completely manageable, and what’s more, there is an abundance of fun to be had, both of the sober and alcohol-infused variety.

Certainly, UChicago has a very healthy party scene. Frat parties, apartment parties, underground hipster parties…. You will find at least a few of these going on every weekend. Some dorms are notorious for their party culture. Students squeeze into Pierce rooms to play beer pong and pre-game. Stony Island apartments are often buzzing with smaller, private affairs. On weekends, flocks of less than sober students can be found stumbling around the halls of Max Palevsky or South Campus.

Frat culture, while not as extensive as that of state schools, is quite palpable. Frats often throw themed or philanthropic parties; Delta Upsilon’s Heaven and Hell party is arguably the biggest one of the year. If schoolwork is wearing you down, hit up Wednesday Bar Nights at Alpha Delta Theta. These are relatively chill affairs that constitute a smoky, sociable atmosphere. If you’re determined enough, you’re bound to find some sort of drunken festivity Wednesday through Saturday.

In a word, don’t worry—partiers abound in this place of allegedly staid scholars.  

If you’re looking for some sober fun, there is no shortage of things you can do. Samplings from my personal experience: I have seen an opera and a Broadway musical. I have gone paintballing. I have done yoga in the snow as I watched the sun rise over a crystalline Lake Michigan (i.e. Kuvia). I have stargazed on the beach. I have been to plays, concerts, and cultural shows galore. I have watched a ballet. I have pranced around in nearly nothing to the charmingly disreputable Lascivious Ball. I have eaten dinner with UChicago alumni. I have participated in a Shabbat dinner. I have seen (and been able to un-see) too many waggling penises at the annual Polar Bear Run. I have stumbled upon an art show downtown. I have climbed the carillon tower. I have gone to Chinatown (Only a short twenty minutes away!) to karaoke and indulge in bubble tea. I have ice-skated on the Midway. I have gone to a poetry slam. I have run out into the middle of a blizzard at three in the morning. I have watched grown men argue over the merits of Jewish cuisine at the humorous Latke-Hamantash Debate. I have gone to a jazz festival. I have attended various lectures (Yes, those can actually be fun.). I have learned how to skateboard and how to play poker. I have seen a live comedy show. I have gone on one too many shopping excursions.

If that’s not enough to convince you, every house boasts traditions of its own that guarantee infinite amusement. Besides providing tasty study breaks, house traditions may include running into Lake Michigan at six in the morning on the first day of class; hosting movie nights, house auctions, and art shows; and throwing an extensive pre-game bonanza. Houses also participate in various intramural sports.

Still not convinced? The Council on University Programming (COUP) plans huge events for students, such as Blues and Ribs, Fall Formal, Mardi Gras, Dance Marathon, and Summer Breeze—a much anticipated concert/carnival during spring quarter. Likewise, the Major Activities Board (MAB) brings concerts and various entertainment events to campus. Past performers include David Glover, Girl Talk, The Decembrists, Bob Saget, Margaret Cho, and Eminem.  

Still not enough? You can catch a movie at Doc Films for only five dollars any night of the week. Wednesdays are one-dollar shake days at C-Shop. The numerous a cappella, improv, and dance groups on campus often put on free shows. There are two free museums right on campus—Smart Museum of Art and the Oriental Institute. RSOs host swanky fashion shows and art festivals. Vita Excolatur is the student-run and student-modeled erotic magazine on campus. Yep, that’s right—UChicago produces its very own erotica.

And then there is Scav Hunt, perhaps the most lauded event of the College—a crazy four-day scavenger hunt that involves ridiculous challenges, tasks, and road trips; spawned the world’s first self-sustained nuclear reaction; and is often referred to as “the largest scavenger hunt in the world.”

UChicago is truly not as ominous as it lets on. While classes are difficult and the workload demanding, you are not doomed to desolation. Parties, activities, and social events are numerous; and the academic atmosphere is encouraging rather than oppressive.

So relax. UChicago and “fun” are not mutually exclusive. They are not opposites. They are not even incompatible.

Dare I say it? UChicago is fun. 

Lynda Lopez is a first year at the University of Chicago currently considering political science and comparative human development as majors. Lynda has been avidly writing for publications, both online and print, since her sophomore year of high school. During her time in high school, she wrote for the Chicago Tribune, PBS Newshour, and the New York Times Upfront Magazine. She has continued her passion in college and is currently the News and Public Affairs Intern at the University Community Service Center at UChicago as well as heading the news department at a local non-profit. When not writing, she enjoys bike-riding, watching Youtube videos, and hanging out with friends. She is excited to bring Her Campus to UChicago and hopes that it will serve as an informative and entertaining resource for women on campus.