Campus CelebriRSO: The Gals behind GALS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

This week’s campus celebs are Emmaline Campbell (AB ’14) and Jennifer Nudo (AB ’13), president and vice president of GALS, respectively.  Emmaline is a Law, Letters, and Society major who enjoys the work of playwright Neil LaBute, and works with MUN as a chair for ChoMUN and MUNUC.  Jennifer is an International Studies major and Human Rights minor whose favorite class was Hum – Philosophical Perspectives.  In her free time, Jennifer can be found working at the Neighborhood Schools Program and dancing with RBIM.

Ariana Melendez: Thanks so much for talking to Her Campus today. As a female voice on campus, we try to keep up with what women on campus are up to.  Let’s start with the basics: What is GALS and why did you choose to be involved in it?
Emmaline Campbell: GALS stands for Gender Activism, Learning, and Service. We hold discussions on gender issues, host guest speakers, participate in community service, and write articles for our blog. I joined GALS because I think it’s important to be educated about gender issues and advocate for women’s rights.  
Jennifer Nudo: It’s hard to give a concise accurate description of what GALS is because it’s very new and changing a lot.  The most basic mission is to give students a place to discuss issues surrounding women and gender. I choose to be involved in GALS because I think the issues we discuss are immensely interesting and extremely important but not often discussed.  It provides an environment where I feel comfortable engaging in controversial topics and expressing my opinions.  Since I joined last year, GALS has helped better define and communicate my opinions while learning.

AM: What opportunities do students have as members of GALS?
JN:Meeting lots of great people, discussing important and interesting issues, getting involved in the community through volunteer work, and writing for our blog.
EC: To learn more about gender issues in a fun setting! Our theme this quarter is “Women and Leadership,” and next quarter our theme will be “Women, Religion, and Tradition.”

AM: And why is it important for GALS to be a part of the campus community?
JN: I feel like feminist issues are often ignored because many people feel they aren’t important in today’s world. GALS is important because we work to bring these issues into people’s consciousness on this campus.
EC: Women’s rights are very important, and it’s good to have a group that raises awareness about inequalities. 

AM: Sounds good to me!  What is the best part of GALS?
EC: I’ve learned how to make professional connections through inviting guest speakers to campus and planning community service days. 
JN: I love being a part of a group of really awesome people who care about the same things I do and being able to learn from them. 

AM: While neither of you are headed for graduation this year, what do you hope for GALS to become in the future?
JN: I hope that we are able to be better known on campus and organize bigger events.  I think there are a lot of people who are interested in what we do and I would love to get them involved.    
EC: And I hope GALS can expand its advocacy to deal with injustices on campus and around Chicago.

To join GALS or to learn more about who they are and what they do, feel free to drop by meetings, held every Monday from 7:00-8:00pm in Harper 151.  All are welcome and joining mid-quarter is perfectly acceptable. 

If you prefer virtual involvement, you can also join their listhost (gals@lists.uchicago.edu), check them out on Facebook or contact Jennifer at jennifernudo@gmail.com. GALS also runs a fantastic blog for those interested in getting in on the discussions: https://galsgalatea.wordpress.com/.  GALS welcomes students of all perspectives to their discussions. 

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.