10 Lessons from Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

1.    French yogurt is awesome. They have so many interesting and delicious flavors (fig, rhubarb, grapefruit, pistachio, prune, etc.).

2.   The first Sunday of every month bodes free admission to tons of museums and tourist hot spots. Go, go, go!

3.   Bike or amble down the streets. This is a city you want to soak in—slowly—with all your senses. (Hint: You can rent a bike from Vélib’, a cheap, public rental system available throughout the entire city.)

4.   Get inexpensive fruit at the metro fruit stalls. They look sketchy, but it all tastes the same.

5.   Wear comfortable shoes, even when you don’t think it’s necessary. Who knows—you could be climbing the Eiffel Tower or strolling through the Louvre after class!

6.   Say “bonjour” when you enter a store or restaurant, and “merci, au revoir” when you exit one. And don’t forget “pardon” if you bump into someone. The French place a great emphasis on public mannerisms.

7.   The third pain du chocolat tastes the same as the first. While it’s tempting to try every pastry and sweet you run into, it’s probably not a good idea.

8.   Do try new foods, though! You’ve probably had a crêpe with Nutella before, but ever try one with cinnamon and la crème de marrons (sweet chestnut conserve)?

9.   PDA is commonplace. A little too commonplace. Don’t be surprised if you see a couple making out in the park, at the train station, or right in front of you as you’re eating. 

10. Explore! Don’t just stick to the major sites. Go out of your way to visit food markets, flea markets, and flower markets. Hop onto the metro and check out the 20 arrondissements. Walk down residential streets and (un-ominous) alleyways. You’re bound to discover something new.

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.