The Positive Way Black Millennials Are Handling Racism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Baltimore chapter.

Lately race-related headlines have been sweeping the news — for bad and for good. It’s no secret that issues, such as the Mike Brown shooting, have caused a major uproar all over the country. Heck, even a leader of North Korea criticized our judicial system for the verdict on that case. Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity at The University of Arizona also ruffled the nation’s feathers when a video of brothers chanting there will never be a black member of SAE surfaced the Internet. Yes, things even hit a little closer to home when a fraternity leader at our neighboring school, University of College Park, sent emails forbidding his brothers to bring black and Asian women to a party.

In today’s world it is almost routine to hear your monthly dose of racist controversies, but could these heinous crimes be creating a bold new trend in the black community?

It’s 2015 and young black men and women are taking a stand to show the world they’re a force to be reckoned with. Consider Disney actress, Zendaya Coleman. The teen starlet wore a head full of faux dreadlocks to this year’s Oscars and Fashion Police’s Giuliana Rancic said her hairstyle made her look like she smelled of weed and patchouli oil. Though Rancic insisted the comment was not intended to be racist, it is common knowledge that dreads, a traditionally black hairstyle, have infamously been associated with weed and essential oils. Instead of letting this blow break her, Coleman released a mature and powerful statement: “My wearing my hair in locs on an Oscar red carpet was to showcase them in a positive, light, to remind people of color that our hair is good enough.”

There is never an excuse for hate, but this generation refuses to let it break them. The pride is there, without a doubt. Black millennials, especially women, are coming to a place where they are comfortable with features often looked at as ugly.

So what’s the moral of this story? Love the way the melanin in your skin glows in the sun. Appreciate the way your curls kink up to your face to frame your plump nose and full, soft lips. Black women — black people are beautiful. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Lu Ma'at

U Baltimore

Hey! My name is Lu Ma'at (muh-ot) and I am a freshman Psych major at University of Baltimore. I am currently aspiring at everything that I can get my hands on from modeling to becoming a neuropsychologist. I enjoy debates, writing, and everything artsy. Feel free to follow my Instagram: @Velvet_Redd
Hi, there! My name is Laurise McMillian, and I am the founder of Her Campus UBalt. Here at the University of Baltimore I study Digital Communication and work on campus as a graphic designer. I'm absolutely obsessed with all things social media. I'm also very into fashion and health. Feel free to find me on Instagram @LauriseMC.