Why We Shouldn’t Look Up to Blair Waldorf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Blair Waldorf: Fashion icon, full of confidence, and a woman our generation worships. I just have one question: why? Sure, the girl knows how to dress, but she’s not a great role model for women. 

First things first, Blair is childish. At the beginning of Gossip Girl, I’m sure some of us could not stand Blair. Her consistent whining made us want to skip right past her scenes. Her problems were petty and the way she presented herself was very middle-school-like, but as the show progresses, Blair matures…thankfully. 

Blair is also a tyrant. If something doesn’t go her way, clear the way for the wrath of Blair Waldorf. She has “minions” for her conniving plans. Her main victim is usually Jenny Humphrey or poor Dorota. Yes, Jenny usually deserves it because she’s the weakest link in the show, but not sweet little Dorota. Honestly, it is her own fault that she didn’t get into Yale…she’s one of those people who isn’t afraid to step on toes, which is fine in moderation. 

Who made her the ruler of New York City? She acts like the Queen of the Upper East Side, even though she is just a teenager. I understand this is just a TV show (that we are all addicted to), but her Queen B status is nothing to be envied. 

She makes almost everyone around her feel lower than dirt, which, as New York’s “it girl” you would think otherwise. Which brings me to poor Dorota. The only time Blair was genuinely nice to Dorota was on Dorota’s wedding day, and other than that she treated her like dirt. Which, yes, Dorota is her maid, but she could at least be respectful to her. Especially since Dorota practically raised Blair. 

Basically, Blair Waldorf is a terrible person. A very beautiful, fashionable woman (and we are all envious of her life), but not her attitude. We should look up to her as a fashion icon, a woman who never changes who she is, and who goes after what she believes in and, well…let’s keep it there.

Images Courtesy of Tumblr

Friend. Sister. Hog fan. Writer.