Fayetteville: Getting Local

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

To some extent we have all gotten stuck in the winter rut.  It is hard to break free from our daily routine when it has been too cold to do, well, anything.  But now that it’s March,  the warm weather is (hopefully) right around the corner.  Fayetteville and the Northwest Arkansas area in general have a lot to offer, both indoors and outdoors so here are some cool places to get you off campus and help you break out of your routine. 

1.  Devil’s Den State Park:  38 minutes from campus

If you have been a U of A student for longer than a few weeks, you have probably heard of or been to Devil’s Den.  Just a few highway exits south of Fayetteville, this state park offers hiking and biking trails for all experience levels.  The look-out point is one of the most popular destinations, but don’t be afraid to explore the many scenic routes that that park offers.  You can hike for the afternoon or even plan a weekend at one of the many campsites throughout Devil’s Den. 

2.  Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art:  29 minutes from campus

Founded in 2011 by Alice Walton, Crystal Bridges boasts impressive art, amazing architecture, and nature trails for those who prefer the outdoors.  This Bentonville museum also houses the restaurant Eleven, which never fails to impress.   

3.  Eureka Springs, AR:  1 hour 3 minutes from campus

Slightly further away from campus than some of the other places, Eureka Springs is well worth the trip.  The town has been nicknamed “little Switzerland”  because of its unique European feel.  The downtown area is built into the side of the mountain and houses many local artisan shops and restaurants.  One of the most famous attraction of the town, though, is the haunted Crescent Hotel.  Ghost tours are offered each night and you can even rent out a room if you’re feeling extra brave.

4.  Diamond Hogs Baseball Game:  1 minute from campus 

So I’m not sure if this counts as “off campus” or not, but Arkansas baseball games are always fun once it starts to get warmer outside.  Get some sunflower seeds and go support the team with your friends. 

5.  Lake Fayetteville:  11 minutes from campus

A quick trip from campus that offers an exceptionally nice 4-mile running and biking trail.  It is also nice to set up a hammock by the lake on a nice day. 

6.  Ozark/St. Francis National Forest:  23 minutes from campus 

This national forest not only is known for holding Mount Magazine, the tallest mountain in Arkansas, but is also a prime destination for hiking, biking, camping, and fishing.  These National Forests are made up of over 1 million acres of land and are famous for their waterfalls, Glory Hole Falls being one of the most well-known. 

7.  First Thursday Fayetteville:  4 minutes from campus

Starting in March, the Fayetteville Square is taken over by local artists and food vendors the first Thursday of every month. 

8.  Pinnacle Hills Promenade:  20 minutes from campus

Sometimes you just need to go shopping with the girls.  The Promenade offers a large variety of stores not too far from campus. 

9.  Fayetteville Farmers Market:  4 minutes from campus

Even though it doesn’t open until April, the Fayetteville farmer’s market is a great way to support local farmers while getting the freshest produce around. 

10.  George’s Majestic Lounge:  2 minutes from campus

George’s is a walkable distance from campus and hosts different bands almost every weekend.  In the next few of weekends, Little Chief and Backroad Anthem will be performing just to name a couple.  

Born and raised in Kansas City. Sophomore at the University of Arkansas.